turbo support bracket

street6

pushing stock limits
Just was wonding what the consensus was regarding the use of the turbo bracket. Is the bracket designed to support the weight of the turbo or to simply provide a location to bolt/secure the turbo shield? I see some use it and some some leave it off. Anyone ever had an issue without it?

Going with a different turbo, probably a Precision billet 6265, and was wondering if I should install it or leave it off. I used it with my previous Turbonetics TE-60. I'm using the stock headers and a 3" THDP. Mostly street driven w/ some track use.

Thanks guys.

You can run without it, but with the extra stress on the header you run a higher risk of getting cracks in it.

The factory put it there for a reason. It is here to support the turbo. Without it the weight of the turbo puts stress on the header which could cause cracking. I would suggest installing it.

You not only have the weight of the turbo but the exhuast system.

it does have some supporting factors but i think gm made the bracket for the shield because when installing a turbo the bracket goes on last so how is it holding it up also the intercooler is bolted to the block with brackets and i think it holds the turbo up as well just my opinion

the real question... is there any benefit to leaving it off?

the answer is no.

stop being a hack and put it back on.

i don't run the bracket and put about 15.000 miles or more on a year for the last 6 plus years with several diffrent cars and the only problem i noticed is since the heat shield is no longer on there the hood pad usually takes beating in that area.

never had and passenger side header problems because of the exhaust hanging there.