Turbo T or GMC Typhoon?

sleepingbuick

Well for my 18th birthday my dad is offering me a limit of $13,000 for any car I want. My final two cars I've decided on is either a Turbo-T or a GMC Typhoon. Which should I get? I do like the 4wd of the Typhoon. But I also like the looks of the Turbo-T. Which one is easier to learn about and then mod? And which one wins in overall reliability?

-Erick

Most people (on this board especially) are going to steer you towards a turbo buick. A buddy of mine has a syclone and it is a damn neat truck, but anyone who has owned both will admit that the buick's engine bay is easier to work in and since they made more of these cars the parts are easier to find. AWD is great as long as it works. The Ty may or may not be more fun to drive but the buick is the hands down winner in the maintenance and mod department.

You luck SOB........j/k:tongue:

I didn't get a car from my dad when I turned 18, let alone 13k to play around with. :(

My first car was a beaten POS Intrepid.

For available mods I would say the Buick. Though you can find a TTA in that price range! Somthing to think about :)

unless daddy is also paying for insurance and gas, i'd be looking into which one is cheaper in those respects, too.
the T is probably simpler to work on and parts are probably cheaper, and as far as insurance is concerned, it's just a Regal.

You need to ask?:confused: For $13k you could have a kickass high 10 or low 11 second Buick these day unfortunately or a super mint low mileage stocker with probably under 40k. Forget the truck. They are heavy and boring.

WOW! What insurance is that? A Regal would cost me less than $60 a month. The GN cost me more than that with restrictions on when and where I drive it (I am VERY cool with the restrictions) and my agreed value is MORE than "just a Regal". :biggrin:

... and as far as insurance is concerned, it's just a Regal.

I have owned both and the buick is far easier to work on and more reliable IMO.

The SY/TY's are also less forgiving, break a boost line and this is what will happen:eek:

Typhoon009.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah my dad hasn't gotten me anything. He hasn't really been around for my childhood. That's why he's giving me 13k to play around with. :D

Turbo Buick

That would be my choice. Way back when, I had to share a yellow VW bug.

Caution: A turbo Buick WILL get you in trouble. Given the power, it WILL be very easy to get tickets, higher insurance premiums and other nasty things for a new driver...

I've had both. IF you are staying very streetable the Buick will be faster. If you are going radical you can build some badass trucks. The awd on the trucks were great before the wonderful invention of drag radials. Back in 93 when I had a typhoon I could out 60' everything on the street. Now that dr are on every fast car you see it's not such an advantage. Parts are cheaper and more available for buicks because there is so many outthere.

More people recognize and respect gns. With a Sy/Ty you will be noticed as a kid in another tricked out lowrider by those who don't know.

Btw: congrats on your dad coming into your life. It's a shame some guys want to tell you how hard they had it as a kid and try to make you feel bad for daddy buying you a car. A car can't buy or show love but family and hopefully a project for you and your dad to work on is great. I absolutly will buy my son a car when be deserves it.

^^^ Thank you sir. I didn't really want to respond to those people. That's because some of the people here don't even know how it feels to go on without a dad for years.

Tt

I would take a portion of the money and buy a small daily driver car to get you around school ,parking lots, and work. The other i would buy a project TR and take the time to bond with your dad, it would be a great way to get to know each other.
Best of luck,

Well I already have a Honda Civic for my Daily Driving and all that. I bought it as a birthday gift to myself last year (16 years old).

WOW! What insurance is that? A Regal would cost me less than $60 a month. The GN cost me more than that with restrictions on when and where I drive it (I am VERY cool with the restrictions) and my agreed value is MORE than "just a Regal". :biggrin:

my T Type is just a Regal according to my insurance company, and a Turbo T (which is what was asked about in the OP) is just the new name for a T Type for the '87 model year.

^^ So it would just be labeled as a Regal?
you'd have to ask your insurance company to be sure, but my insurance policy only says "1984 Buick Regal" on all the paperwork. it is also possible that a Typhoon would show up as a Jimmy, but the only way to know for sure is to ask.