Turbo Whistle

Frederickdav

When my son was in the USAF he was stationed in Japan for 3 years. One of the weird things he got a big kick out of was cars and trucks with turbos. The all had this funny sounding whistle whenever the turbo was let off. The way he described it, it sounded like something hooked into/onto the wastegate. I've never heard of such a thing,have any of you?

Yes, I put one on a Ta-49 turbo on one of my TTAs. When I realized that it was not good for the turbo to go from max boost to none, I sold it. But it did sound good for an instant. :)

Thanks Lee. I'm watching a bunch of You Tube videos right now of different turbos and superchargers and the crazy things people do with them. Some folks have a lot more money than brains!

To me, the turbo whistle is the sound of the spooling/ building boost - making massive power (at least it feels that way to me). That's why we all love these machines.

If you're talking about the "horse sneeze" (ththdididida), the sound the wastegate makes when you let off the gas after a good rip, we love that to as you just blew the doors off a hell cat, gt500r or a zo6 blah, blah, blah. LOL

I just installed a 5" RJC dp and the whistle of my hermaphrodite, 58mm Precision turbo has been absolutely ridiculous since. I thought it used to whistle pretty loud with my 3" ATR dp, but nothing like my new 5" RJC dp. There's no more drone to compete with, plus it keeps whistling even when I'm falling back down on a gear, not just accelerating. It literally sounds like a jet getting ready for takeoff, badass.

I've been breaking a lot of necks lately too, and it's definitely not just car guys either. Everyone's stopping to take notice when I pass by. People in their front yards, people walking down the street, and people in parking lots. Also, I keep seeing cars cracking or rolling down their windows when they're next to or near me in traffic.

Last edited:
Billet wheels+bb makes the best sounding whistle:sneaky:

I had considerable amount of da da da da da . That sound is the amount of air coming in from the intake and when the throttle closes shut the air doesnt have anywhere to go. It's like being in rush hour traffic and some dumbass slams on their brakes...all the momentum needs to go somewhere so the air hits the compressor wheel. I opened up both ends with equal amounts of intake and exhaust and the sound is much less. Plus I installed a blow off valve to help with this matter as well. Unequal pressures on either sides of the turbo shaft cannot be good for it, is the way I looked at it. Now as for the jet sound whistle that the turbo makes building boost.....nothing like it. It really sounds like a jet with my 6262 and opened 4" cai to 3" exhaust.

When my son was in the USAF he was stationed in Japan for 3 years. One of the weird things he got a big kick out of was cars and trucks with turbos. The all had this funny sounding whistle whenever the turbo was let off. The way he described it, it sounded like something hooked into/onto the wastegate. I've never heard of such a thing,have any of you?
I have I saw this device these non turbo rice burners cars that clips on th exaust and the gases comming out
Blows the whistle I saw it on one of the velocity shows

I have I saw this device these non turbo rice burners cars that clips on th exaust and the gases comming out
Blows the whistle I saw it on one of the velocity shows
Do a youtube search of Bubb Rubb. Straight Town official, he'll explain it perfectly on KRON4 for those of you that ain't knowin... "It's that whoop-whoop!"

Last edited:
The flutter after WOT is charge air stacking against everything that won't let it go to it's happy place...throttle plate for one.

I had considerable amount of da da da da da . That sound is the amount of air coming in from the intake and when the throttle closes shut the air doesnt have anywhere to go. It's like being in rush hour traffic and some dumbass slams on their brakes...all the momentum needs to go somewhere so the air hits the compressor wheel. I opened up both ends with equal amounts of intake and exhaust and the sound is much less. Plus I installed a blow off valve to help with this matter as well. Unequal pressures on either sides of the turbo shaft cannot be good for it, is the way I looked at it. Now as for the jet sound whistle that the turbo makes building boost.....nothing like it. It really sounds like a jet with my 6262 and opened 4" cai to 3" exhaust.

I for one love that horse sneeze sound. It makes me smile. :D

D

He's referring to an actual blow off valve. A lot of imports run some blow off valves that instead of a sneeze, it's kind of a quick whistle. Every time they shift it sounds like someone blew a whistle. Why Buick didn't run a blow off valve?? Who knows.

Do a youtube search of Bubb Rubb. Straight Town official, he'll explain it perfectly on KRON4 for those of you that ain't knowin... "It's that whoop-whoop!"
Hey there budd I'll do the search and I'll pm you I gotta see this but I love the horse sneeze sound

That YouTube was great. I really like the fact that he said you should be up early in the morning (shocking). But his driving skills suck, driving on wrong side, swerving, and blowing a stop sign almost hitting someone. Plus his car didn't even have the whistle and sounded like crap.
I really can't believe this country still exists!

That YouTube was great. I really like the fact that he said you should be up early in the morning (shocking). But his driving skills suck, driving on wrong side, swerving, and blowing a stop sign almost hitting someone. Plus his car didn't even have the whistle and sounded like crap.
I really can't believe this country still exists!
That's an old video. I remember watching it and cracking up at the driving as you mentioned lmao. You know what, I'm going to watch it right now. :ROFLMAO:

For anyone who hasn't seen it in the last 10 years

My 6131 made a horrendous squeal when off throttle. No BOV. Trucks don't use BOV's either.

Straight from the 'Town, Son.

Dude my friends and I would laugh our asses off in HS (I had my first GN then, hence the stupid screenname I have) at that video of Bubb and Lil Sis. Helllllla funny.

To me, the turbo whistle is the sound of the spooling/ building boost - making massive power (at least it feels that way to me). That's why we all love these machines.

If you're talking about the "horse sneeze" (ththdididida), the sound the wastegate makes when you let off the gas after a good rip, we love that to as you just blew the doors off a hell cat, gt500r or a zo6 blah, blah, blah. LOL
That is exactly how my car sounds when getting off the 49.