Turbo ????

not-rdy

I am looking at buying a Turbo Regal that has a fresh rebuilt motor but the Turbo has play in it. Will it hurt the motor to break it in with the bad Turbo as long as you keep it out of the boost? The motor is still out of the car due to Turbo being bad. I was going to have him put it back in with bad turbo so I could test drive it and so his mechanic could break it in to make sure everything is ok. Then after I purchased it I would change the Turbo out. It is a stock factory turbo that is bad.

Thanks for any help,
Ken

Not sure what the answer is to your question, but in about 2 weeks I am getting a new TE44 from John Craig and will be replacing a perfectly good stock turbo on my Grand National, if you want to buy it, rather than run the risk on a new motor..
If interested, let me know and I will figure out a price.

Good used stock turbos usually go from $150 to $250 depending on the mileage, condition, etc.

A "core" stock turbo is worth $50-$100 depending on condition, so if you buy a good used one and sell yours....

If I buy the car I will be putting a brand new TA49 on it. The problem is I don't want to buy a car that isn't running and so all the seller has is the bad turbo. I was just going to have him put the bad turbo on so his mechanic can break in the motor so that I could test drive it and if I buy it get it home. I just want to make sure the turbo which spins freely but has lots of play will not hurt the fresh rebuilt motor. I am supposed to email him this morning.
Does anyone know if the turbo will hurt the motor?

Thanks,
Ken

It will not do any good to the engine if the blades contact the housing and put little pieces of metal in the engine.

Find out what kind of warranty the engine has and if it comes with one I wuldnt worry about it too much, a bad rebuild will show up fairly quickly usually

Unfortunately it doesn't come with any warranty. His cousin rebuilt it for him and just said he wouldn't put it back in the car without a new turbo. He was afraid of oil contamination. So right now the car is sitting without the engine and he really doesn't have the money for a new turbo and I won't buy the car if I can't drive it to make sure everything is ok. The car sounds great and I am going to look at it next weekend. The guy is very nice and seems to be telling me everything about the car. He doesn't seem to be holding anything back but I just don't want to get stuck with any problems that he might not be aware of with the new motor. Unfortunately I am new to the Buick world and turbos so I really don't know what to do here.

Thanks,
Ken

if you cant buy a used turbo see if maybe you could borrow one and if everything goes well,maybe you could take the price of the used turbo off the price of the car.

Don't use the BAD TURBO your just going to full the engine with wear metal that is going to kill the bearings.

This is screwy. The engine can be installed without the turbo, just not driven. Installing the turbo does not take long at all.
So if they REALLY want to sell this car they will:

Put the engine in, and
buy and install a turbo, which will be between $150 - $300 depending on if its used or rebuilt.

Remember they need a turbo anyways.

If they wont do that they dont want to sell the car very bad