turbocharged 3800

1987BuickGrandN

i wonder if anyone has tried to take a 3800 series II supercharged and tried to stick a turbocharger on there in place of the supercharger??? comments please, that might be a cool thing to do.

Bryan

i am pretty sure the intense car is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i have done this setup in 1999 with a turbo from a turbo grand prix. this setup made alot of power. but the motor kept running lean and the exhaust manidold will glow red.

now that i have all the tuning device to complete this project will will be buying a 92 z34 for the motor.

if you are not really to spend big money ,then get ready to work hard, doing welding and i how you know alot about cars.

Two guys over here in Australia have done it,on emake 415hp (Highly modified motor) at the wheels while the other makes 366hp (stock bottom end) at the wheels. The one with 366rwhp at the wheels is running 12.3 at 117mph, the 415rwhp one hasn't run at the drags yet.

Have a look at this site for details on the 366rwhp car.

Our cars have the option of the L67 engine with RWD for those that don't know, unfortunately we just don't have the access to parts that you guys in the states enjoy.

this is nice to know. by any chance, do you thinkou can take a pic of the RWD engine bellhousing. or do you know of a site that give close-up pic of the AUS L67 engine. This engine may have the same bell housing had the FWD U.S. version.

i am doing a turbo FWD motor right now, with 10,000,000`s other thing. i currently have the 98 S/C OBDII wiring connected too it.

I LOVE THAT SITE.

I'm pretty sure it's the same pattern as what is on your FWD engine's after all we get our L67's from the US, so I doubt they do a special one for us here in Australia, we are too small a market.

Great HP, you need a better dyno though, especially if you're having problems with the ramp rate being too quick.

Originally posted by 1987BuickGrandN
i wonder if anyone has tried to take a 3800 series II supercharged and tried to stick a turbocharger on there in place of the supercharger??? comments please, that might be a cool thing to do.

Bryan

I've Turbo'd a L36 none Supercharged block. I've run up too 12 psi. After that the pistons let go.

Its now a L36 block with L67 Type Forged Pistons and a shyt load of other stuff. To the tune of $4k. Should be a pretty quick car come spring. :D

I did a turbocharged L67 in my Fiero and ran 12.79's at the track on 13lbs of boost on 93 pump + Klotz Hitrate. I am using a stock 87 GN turbo, a very small intercooler, a Camaro aluminum intake, and mildly ported heads. Everything else is bone stock and I have less than $700 in the motor. Got the motor from a junkyard for free since it had a spun rod bearing, had the machine shop check everything and put new bearings in it. $500 in the machine shop bill and $200 in gaskets/head bolts. Not a bad deal.

Biggest issue I have heard about the L67's is they have a very tight ring gap stock which will quickly close under moderate boost and heat which causes 80% of the piston failures these engines suffer. The stock pistons for the L67 are hypereutectic alloy but have a thermal coating on the tops and teflon coated skirts. I still wouldn't push more than 15psi or so on them tho.

The L36 has cast pistons and thinner connecting rods since GM was more concerned with gas mileage. Comparitively speaking, the L67 has much thicker rods and better pistons to better cope with the boost that comes on it stock.

You are correct with the L36 Pistons, and with the L67's. But the L67 pist9ons are alot stronger then you may think. Detonation will kill any piston, I do not care what its made of. And thats uaully what happens to these pistons. I've got 3 ashtrays to prove it :p

Here is my list of go fast goodies.
98 L36 Block , Decked and checked for cracks, bead blasted etc.
Crank checked and rebalanced
L67 Rods
8.5 compression Forged pistons
Fully race port and polish and valve job done on the heads
130 pound valve springs
cam
comp cam pushrods
comp cam lifters
custom headers
custom y
t4/t3 hybrind, A/R of .63/1.00
Spearco Air2Water Intercooler
Cool Can for above Intercooler
ARP Rod bolts
ARP rocker arm bolts
ARP head stud kit
Ported and Polished lower intake
Modified upper pleneum
Heavy duty oil pump kit
under drive wp
underdrive alt
ngk raceplugs
PRJ Wires
Jacobs coils
3 inch custom exhaust
mini afc V2
custum tuned PCM
Alky injection kit
and a few more things I just cannot think off the top of my head.

Now as long as the tranny/diff hold till summer when I can afford a new tougher setup in the tranny diff dept, I will be good to go.

Well, I 100% agree with you that detonation is the No.1 killer of any piston. As far as what I was talking about, I was speaking out of context as if detonation were kept in check, 80% of the piston failures were due to the ring ends butting together and busting the top ring land off the piston. Obviously detonation causes its own problems.

-do you thinkou can take a pic of the RWD engine bellhousing. or do you know of a site that give close-up pic of the AUS L67 engine. This engine may have the same bell housing had the FWD U.S. version.-

Hi SteveX, I bought a US Buick L67 and installed it in an Australian model that came with L36.
Have a look at www.kalmaker.com.au/page50.html to see photos of bellhousing and look around to see blower differences etc.
I reckon I could almost make a living out of exporting RWD V6 T700's and 4L60e's back to USA for you guys doing conversions.
They need toughening up tho', a std trans from L36 doesnt last long behind a L67.

Also 87 GN, check out www.v6supercharged.com.au Tony went from Eaton to Vortex, and now has put on big turbo.
He has only done a low 12 with 14psi but theres heaps more in store and he hasnt had time to pursue, as he is busy developing air to air I/cooler.

We are very early days here compared to you guys, but we do have realtime software for our models which makes a big difference.
We dont have software to suit your late model Buicks yet, but it is next in line after our Chev LS 1 program is ready later this year.
Hi to Scott at Intense