turbocharging a smallblock?

dfast1

Power Stroked
How can i do it? Where do i get fuel injection system for it? I want to be able to make changes with my laptop with fuel system for easier tuning. I figure i can do the exhuast myself. What type of turbo could i use. The motor will be a chevy small block. Is this possiable without spending a small fortune?

More like a large fortune. Holly has a digital fuel injection setup. Look in jegs or summit. Something like $2000-3000. Add another $2-3000 for fabrication, and another few grand for the block and for less than $10k you could probably pull close to 800 horsepower.

Many of the aftermarket FI systems out there are Speed Density systems that are more problematic to tune than the Mass Air Flow ones. SD is fine for an NA application since airflow is directly proportional to throttle position and RPM. Add boost to the mix, especially the variable boost that a turbo or centrifugal supercharger provides, and the math gets tricky in a hurry. You will need someone with experience to set the thing up for you on a turbo car.

I'd try going with a MAF-equipped smallblock induction system as a base and then going from there. I think you'd have fewer headaches.

- Freed

Wouldn't it be nice it you could take the fuel injection system off a ls1 and slap it on the older 350's. Could it be done? Like weld the bungs in for the fuel injectors on a high rise intake then do some major reprogramming and have it up and running? Just not use the ls1 intake? That would be really cool if it is possiable and a lot cheaper!

MITCH-

where ya been? i tried to email you awhile back, but your address wasnt working- how is the weather over there?

anyway, on subject-

i would just run a big honkin turbo and a 850 CFM carb, you would have to run 2 fuel pumps, one for engine, and the other to kick in the air horn when under boost, but should work fine-

i have a buddy here in town with a SBC and a big ole turbo and carb, seems to run good, even thou its a hot air setup!

take er easy
BW

You could use a pair of old ramshorn exhaust maniolds turned upside down. Two stock GN turbos. A $400 gen 6 dfi. Weld injector bungs in a single plane intake of your choice. Make a throttle body out of an old holley carb. Throw together a budget 350 and try it. Then after you make a few mistakes and figure out the tuning build a good long block to put everything on. Should be fairly simple.

Why not try a Procharger setup?? That's what i have planned soon, a small block chevy blow thru Holley carb setup. Then you don't need fancy exhaust or any electronics, that will be a small fortune. From what i've read when you do it this way(carbed instead of FI) an intercooler isn't as important because when the fuel from the carb that is in liquid form atomizes that cools the air somewhat. I figure i can go a little faster with more reliability. Plus SBC parts are a dime a dozen. I might try some alky injection on top too to run more boost!!;) :confused: I'm going to try a really cheap mild longblock 1st then stepup later.:cool: Frank