twin turbo

blackv6

Want to ask you guys would there be an advantage to twin turbocharging a grandnational. be thinkin bout it and wondering

With todays turbo, converter technology I dont think its worth the $ or effort. With the correct combo of parts it isn't very difficult to build a nice street driven 9sec single turbo car today if you listen to the right people. If your looking to build an all out race car, twins is the way to go.:D

There is really no advantage to doing it. I'd consider it if I was doing a v8 car from scratch but the turbos available will support plenty of power to over power any production block out there and still spool very fast with the right combo.

Just wanted to know u guys opinion on it. I am building a motor and wanted to know if there was an advantage, now i know

They do look impressive at car shows...

Depends on what you want out of your system. Twins aren't just for all out race cars!!! Twins are common place now days on many new vehicles. They don't go that route for all out monster power!. They do it with two smaller than normal turbos and can then reduce turbo lag to "literally zero". Yes, I've found this to be true, not on my Buick, but rather my Lincoln. And they don't use any fancy high stall converters to achieve it either. Full boost is there instantly!!
Granted, the expense of doing this on a 25 year old Buick might be a bit much to swallow, but if a person were an expert fabricator/welder, it could be done reasonably. The advantage of twin turbos (one per bank) is, contrary to what has been said is huge. You can use much smaller turbos, and still achieve the same power level, and reduce lag to nothing.

Sure, the big twins you see on Buick race cars aren't there for driveability, but rather ground ripping power.

So, if you wanted to go twins, you can see that there are two distinct routes one could take in the design and fabrication.

I personally have always liked the esp twins, it just seemed too costly for me at least. But looking back at what I have put into the 86 & 87 now, I could have bought 4 kits!!! Another problem would be the class to race in.

I know the auto makers do it. It seems the throttle respone and lag time would be greatly redouced and from what im reading ur charge temps would be cooler

I know the auto makers do it. It seems the throttle respone and lag time would be greatly redouced and from what im reading ur charge temps would be cooler

Greatly reduced is an understatement. It's totally eliminated, at least on my Lincoln anyway. Don't know about charge temps, but they must be fairly good since the twin turbo Ecoboost motors use a frontmount IC.

I didnt read all the responses so if someone already said this...im sorry.
I have thought about this many times. Im building a killer bottom end on my stroker, and have considered twins. I will say this. If you can fab your own headers and downpipes and inlet tubing, you got hard part done. Mike E is such a fabricator, Im really suprised he hasnt done it. If you would have to pay for those items...start crying now and invest the rest of your $$$ in Kleenex.
If you had a totally gutted engine bay and had mad fabbing skills...you could create a real work of art.

Here is a work of art:
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/engines/chevy/Twin-Turbo-Daily-Driver-Series.html

Love this one:
110-tt572-polished.jpg

Check out Nelson Racings vidios of the engines on the dynos and him taking the cars out for a drive.Id like to see them work over a turbo 6.

The camaro in the video is sick!
2000 HP with AC and streetable. :eek:

The Mad Max truck is bad ass too!

D

Bt the way, If Tom Nelson can post these videos of tearing it up on public roads then MeanChicken has nothing to worry about. :)