Twins on a Stocker

bruce

Rest In Peace
Does anyone have any pics of Project X or it's components?.

Or have a set of the manifolds laying around?.

I used to have a ton of them. Lemme look and see.

The Project X headers got sold on EBay eariler this year.

Nice pictures, clean looking fabrication and design. How well did this set up work and were there earlier posts about it or project X? "bruce" , are you planning a twin set up? What's up with pic 72?!

It worked very well. Unfortunately production of the system was stopped by CAS so unless someone else wants to take up the production of the kit, I dont think we will ever see a street oriented twins kit for stockers.

I would think with the TA block coming out, there might be more of a demand for this. I would SERIOUSLY consider going twins with the TA block which should easily handle the power.

Derrick

besides all the "WOW!" comments you would get whats the point of going to a twin turbo setup when there are so many good single setups out there now. most of the Supra guys convert to single from twins. im not trying to start anything but im just wondering why would you spend so much $$$ going to twins when it seems like for less $$$ you could have had a nice single setup? do twins spool up better but offer more flow than a bigger single turbo so a high stall converter woul not have to be used?

Originally posted by turbo buicks
besides all the "WOW!" comments you would get whats the point of going to a twin turbo setup when there are so many good single setups out there now. most of the Supra guys convert to single from twins. im not trying to start anything but im just wondering why would you spend so much $$$ going to twins when it seems like for less $$$ you could have had a nice single setup? do twins spool up better but offer more flow than a bigger single turbo so a high stall converter woul not have to be used?

A take-off stocker, is anywhere from $125-150.
New big turbo, $800+.

I'm looking to do mine with junkyard parts.
Better spooling is often a matter of just getting the chip correct.

I've been playing with some other ideas, that makes it all alot easier to do, then what others have attempted.

With the ability to go mafless with something like the ME-R wouldn't it make it easier to put a twin together? You wouldn't need to engineer anything on the inlet side of the turbo, so it would be headers, brackets and outlet pipes to the IC. Comments?

Originally posted by tracer
With the ability to go mafless with something like the ME-R wouldn't it make it easier to put a twin together? You wouldn't need to engineer anything on the inlet side of the turbo, so it would be headers, brackets and outlet pipes to the IC. Comments?

Yes,
yes it would.

and there are even more and better answers.

And even just using a relocated MAF answers some of the guestions.

And there are other hints floatin around......

most of the Supra guys convert to single from twins.

If I'm not mistaken, a Supra twin set up is not like ours. I beleive the two turbos are inline with each other and one helps spool the other and they both feed all 6 cylinders where with our cars each turbo feeds 3 cylinders. My guess is that the smaller tubo is just too much of a restriction, and makes it faster just to remove it and add 1 larg one. Problably why they have problems spooling and why alot of the fast guys need to use N02 to help spool it.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
If I'm not mistaken, a Supra twin set up is not like ours. I beleive the two turbos are inline with each other and one helps spool the other and they both feed all 6 cylinders where with our cars each turbo feeds 3 cylinders. My guess is that the smaller tubo is just too much of a restriction, and makes it faster just to remove it and add 1 larg one. Problably why they have problems spooling and why alot of the fast guys need to use N02 to help spool it.
Seems Like each Turbo is fed from each bank,,but seems they come to a common outlet ,maybe that is nmot the case with the 410hp setup pictures

Originally posted by JayC
Project X pictures

That's a really slick setup Jay. I just have a few questions.

First, I notice the A/C is deleted and heater box is gone... was that necessary to get things to fit or just what you were working with? Can all those items be in place and functional?

Second, Does pic #72, also come with the instructions?? :D

Originally posted by Ted A.
Sure was a good idea. Probably too many parts for Tony to remember to pack in the box though.

Yeah that and the fact that he can make more money selling a TT kit to the LS1/LT1 F-body guys........

It would be pretty cool if somebody could continue this project and make production of this kit!

Originally posted by TRiv
Twins on a stocker, well sort of, 1983 Indy pace car, 1983 twin turbo Riviera convertible with 4.1 litre stage 2 @ 410hp detuned to cruise the Indy track in the turns @ 130mph! If they only made these into production on the Rivs & GNs, and intercooled!

www.waynefi.homestead.com/files/turboad.jpg

Special features ........................ Electronic Water/Methanol injection system

I really like pic00072:D :eek:

Is there a writeup on that car and how well all that worked available???