Under weatherstripping door rust

Westriver87

I just pulled the weatherstripping off to replace it. I found some rust under were the weatherstripping goes. I am trying to keep from pulling the doors and blasting the inside and repairing. None of these spots have gone through. I will be painting the car in a few years, so the doors will be pulled and painted. I'm looking for something to do in the mean time to keep it from rusting. I am in the south and the car is stored inside. Im thinking I can just grind away the rust to good metal and seal and paint just under were the weatherstripping goes so you will never see it. The bottom of the doors look fine and the jams are perfect. Its the only rust anywhere on the car and its purely under the door weatherstripping. I guess moisture was trapped in the weatherstripping. Would this work and what sealer and paint is recommended? Sorry about the bad pics. Between my crappy phone and a shaky hand they didn't turn out well. Thanks

Attachments

• door1.jpg
    door1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
  • door2.jpg
    door2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • door3.jpg
    door3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
  • door4.jpg
    door4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
I just pulled the weatherstripping off to replace it. I found some rust under were the weatherstripping goes. I am trying to keep from pulling the doors and blasting the inside and repairing. None of these spots have gone through. I will be painting the car in a few years, so the doors will be pulled and painted. I'm looking for something to do in the mean time to keep it from rusting. I am in the south and the car is stored inside. Im thinking I can just grind away the rust to good metal and seal and paint just under were the weatherstripping goes so you will never see it. The bottom of the doors look fine and the jams are perfect. Its the only rust anywhere on the car and its purely under the door weatherstripping. I guess moisture was trapped in the weatherstripping. Would this work and what sealer and paint is recommended? Sorry about the bad pics. Between my crappy phone and a shaky hand they didn't turn out well. Thanks
Sand it good and apply a epoxy primer for a bandaid fix until you get them off the sand blast and do them the right way. It's common to see under the weather stripping, i see it on most every car i paint. Don't glue the seals back in if you dont need to. That way you can check it from time to time to see if anything is starting to rust again, that should get you by until you paint the car.

Sand it good and apply a epoxy primer for a bandaid fix until you get them off the car and sand blast and do them the right way. It's common to see under the weather stripping, i see it on most every car i paint. Don't glue the seals back in if you dont need to. That way you can check it from time to time to see if anything is starting to rust again, that should get you by until you paint the car.