Up pipe problem?

stevestatix

Good day, New to TB but long time fan of Buicks and Grand Nationals.

Down and dirty here it goes. If I get on the pedal it will start to take off then BOOM, my up pipe blows off my throttle body. I am thinking it may be tired out screw clamps just not being able to hold it together anymore. Here are some specs;

1987 GN 97,998 actual miles
GN1 Performance Custom 66 turbo combo, DP ext. wastegate boost controller.
3" SS Exhaust
K/N CAI
Stock block, tranny, rear end, suspension, paint, glass, T-tops.

There are more mods done by the previous owner and I am still trying to correct some of them. They took alot of cheap routes to "tweak" the car and I am hopeing they didnt do too much damage. I will put up the rest of the mods later.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Make sure there isn't any oil going thru the intercooler and getting on the hoses. Wipe the insides of the hoses, throttle body, ends of the up pipe and intercooler outlet with lacquer thinner. Spray the insides of the hoses with hairspray and put together. Should be fine after that.

Also while the uppipe is off, check it for hairline splits. My original one split and leaked vacuum. I have a 3 inch from tr custom parts, problem solved.

are you...

over-boosting? can you monitor your boost level? check your w/g tubing for cracks or splits, if the cleaning and clamps do not cure the problem.:confused:

Other mods and issues

Thank you for info everyone. I am taking the advice with great strides. here are some of the other mods that were already done to the car, perhaps someone can post some of their great kowledge on these parts or send me a PM. Thanks again for the input.

7 digit ultrachip (usually set on 3)
3 angle valve job
hotwired fuel pump
49lb injectors
100lb valve springs
hardened stator

there is more but I cannot find the email from the original owner with everything else. I had some issues yesterday in traffic with the CEL coming on, thought it may be from sitting too long. It also doesnt seem to be shifting right. feels like it doesnt like third and cannot make up her mind what gear it wants.