USB Adaptor for FAST

NastyGn

What I need is the part number for the adaptor (USB to 9 pin connector) to hook up my new Dell to the FAST system. If I remember right the adaptor can be bought at Radio Shack.

Is this the same adaptor that is used to adapt the Palm connector?

I remember this being brought up on a thread but the subjects name was not for an adaptor but another problem....well at that time I did not need it.

Thank for any help

I use my serial port ( DB 9 connector) to link my laptop to the fast computer. Your dell should have a serial port . If it doesn't then you can use a PCMCIA card with a DB9 connector.Hope that helps:D

jjkv
Miss T

If you want to use the USB port, I found a cable that is available at CompUsa. "USB to Serial Adapter" Mfg part # USA19qw or
Product #286732 :cool:

John
Miss T

There is a "USB to DB9" cable available through Tiger direct. Part number C184-26886

Also Bafo Technology has a "USB to DB9" connector, Part # B133-1014 for $19.99

These can be accessed through a link at Tiger Direct.

John
Miss T

If best buy has them, they recently just got them.

When I bought mine about 6 months ago.. I went to best buy first and asked... he looked at me like I was stupid and then said "They don't make anything like that, the two connections are not compatible."

I just ordered another one last night.. they have free shipping on them also. $24.99+free shipping.

Just my $0.02.

Hm

I bought mine off eBay or somewhere on the net (can't remember it's been so long) for $6.99 -- don't pay over $10.

John,
How did you get the usa19qw to work. I bought one yesterday, and am getting the same error message. "cannot find ecu".
My 5 year old dell lap top will connect just fine.
my new one is a Gateway 400 series.

Originally posted by NastyGn
What I need is the part number for the adaptor (USB to 9 pin connector) to hook up my new Dell to the FAST system. If I remember right the adaptor can be bought at Radio Shack.................Thank for any help

The USB to 9 pin adapter that I found would work with my new Dell was a Belkin that Craig recommended. Did not try but a few adapters so others may work?

55Belair:

To get it to work, I plugged all cables together, turned key on to power up fast, then plugged USB cable into my gateway laptop.

At that point you computer should reconize the input from fast.

Now.... if you use a PCMCIA card then you also have to install the driver to make it work. Plus the pigtail connector.

All in all ..the key is to have windows detect the new hardware.

:cool:

John
Miss T