Using a cloyes 5 under roller chain on stock motor

CARTMAN

Has anyone used the Cloyes .005 under chain on a stock (non line bored) motor? Will it fit?

I'm worried about the regular length roller chain having too much slack after it stretches a bit. Or am I being paranoid and will the regular length roller chain be OK?

If you use the stock set up ,run the tensioner. That's why its there. I would not run .005 under in a non line bored engine,nor do I know if it would fit. These cars do not have a lot of timing chain issues.

Has anyone used the Cloyes .005 under chain on a stock (non line bored) motor? Will it fit?

I'm worried about the regular length roller chain having too much slack after it stretches a bit. Or am I being paranoid and will the regular length roller chain be OK?

Just use the standard size chain. I have been running one in an engine for 8 years with no issues.

Usually a .002 works great for a stock replacement usage...

K.

I had a standard size cloyes in my engine and after about 5k miles I had to pull the engine apart due to wiped cam ( can you believe that LMAO) and the chain was stretched real bad.

This engine I went with a comp unit#3129

If you use the stock set up ,run the tensioner. That's why its there....... These cars do not have a lot of timing chain issues.

+1.... the key words being STOCK SETUP..... if using a (any) double roller, DON'T use the tensioner!! as the roller will eat it up and the little shredded plastic pieces will hinder the lubrication of your engine... :eek:

Speaking of a STOCK timing chain setup, how long should it last? Still have under 30K on an unopened motor. Is it age or mileage that kills the plastic coated cam gear??

I've replaced the plastic timing gear on my 2 cars...one had 39K miles...the other had 147K miles... both unopened motors...this was a few years ago and the gears looked perfect on both...so not sure what causes the gears to go...obviously mine had both age and mileage...I'm thinking hard miles(racing) is the cause...I never raced the low mileage car and the one with high miles was a daily driver...literally driven by an older woman to the store and back before I got it...

If the car sits idling for long periods of time (like in heavy traffic) it kills the timing chains in these engines. Because of the short cam, there isn't a lobe coming up all the time, causing the timing chain gear to rock back and forth. One lifter will be trying to push the cam forward, then a moment later, a lead in ramp on another lifter puts load on the chain in another direction, and then back again. If the car has alot of highway miles on it, the chains seem to last OK. If it has been mostly driven in town, then they seem to fail more frequently. I've seen bad nylon gears in a 30K engine (mine) and good gears in 125K engines. :confused: