V6 conversion

Jeasen

I picked up a GTA Trans Am for misc. parts. It was a 350 TPI car. From what I remember reading in order to put a Turbo V6 in the car the K member has to be changed. Do I remember correctly?

Engine cross member is the same on all of them just the motor mounts would need to be swapped. The transmission cross member however is differnt so you need a TTA specific one.

Engine cross member is the same on all of them just the motor mounts would need to be swapped. The transmission cross member however is differnt so you need a TTA specific one.

hmmmm..where would ya ever find a trans mount ?? :p :biggrin:

Check out Ebay item# 150191022769 Looks to be almost everything you would need to convert a GTA over to a TTA minus the drivetrain.

SPOHN PERFORMANCE makes a torque arm that has a driveshaft loop built onto it and the arm is adjustable for pinion angle. 200r4 trans bolts right to it.torque arm bolts to crossmember not trans

Those were my parts off of TTA 656. The pictures aren't complete it looks though. The second part of the crossmember is missing as well as the isolators.

I sold them a few years ago after I had an engine built and a cam bearing seemingly just fell out. I parted the car out afterwards......

The 700 will work with an adapter plate.

Talk to Steve Kaminski he's used the 700r4 in swaps before.......

How much are those parts worth. the ones on ebay that is. I am doing a conversion on my girlfriends 89 formula so this is kind of a good start.

the harness is roughly $500 or so. Crossmember say $300. Headers are tricky cause they are what they are and there aren't many out there. The accessories are the same as the GN motor minus the power steering pump which can be found in the bone yard(i believe sunbirds had the pump)

It all depends on what you want to do the swap. If a/c is a need then you'll pay for the parts. If not everything else can be accomplicshed using the GN components.

IMO the cheapest way to do it would be this:

Use the GN harness and splice it together(or laying out the cash for a TTA harness would be easier but more costly).

Grab a heater only box for the f body and use the GN engine, headers and crossover.

Mount the 700r4 to the engine with the adapter plate(just lay the engine on the k member with the mounts assembled, upper n lowers) put it in the crossmember bolt up the tourqe arm and driveshaft.

Now mark where the holes in the frame pads sit and redrill the k member and bolt it up.

That would be the cheapest way to do it using parts that are more available than trying to find TTA parts.

The only real cash layout I'd do is the harness messing with the loom and hacking one up is cheaper, but it's a p.i.t.a.

HTH!

Hey, I want to thank all of you for your replies to my post. Now I need to decide whether I want to put the extra V6 turbo motor I have in the S10 or the Trans Am. I would be able to strip out the rest of the interior from the TA and remove all the things I do not need. The S10 is also gutted with a narrowed Ford 9" and a roll bar. I think the S10 would be lighter but the TA would be more fun because it is white and would look like a TTA. Any comment?
Jeasen