V8 Swap, questions !?!?!

HzEmall Regal

Don't hack your car !!
Guys, I need a little help here.

I have a 86 Regal with a non turbo V6 in it. I also have the 200 tranny in it.

I am going to put a Chev 350 crate motor into it and I need some info.

Which engine mounts do I need ? Is there a difference between a Monte V8 mount and a Buick V8 mount ?

Also, will the tranny and drive shaft location be ok ? some one told me that the tranny and drive shaft are in the same location for the V8 and the V6.

Anything else you have to offer me for advice on this would be great.

I'm going to post this in one other section of this site just in case.

Thank you very much.

Hey Man I Did A 350 Swap In My Regal Your Goana Need The Mounts From The Monte You Also Have To Use 350hydro Matic Tranny Or 400th I'm Looking To Up Grade My Self To The Four Hun. Better Gearing Drive Shaft Should Be Fine If You Go With The 400th You Might Need To Shorten Your Drive Shaft Not Shure On That Though

just get the sbc monte carlo engine mounts...by a 200 trans i'm assuming its the 200-4r(overdrive) and not the 200c metric(junk...won't hold up very long to a sbc) it should mount up no problem, but if you have the 200c, swap to a th350 or a 700r4, they are much stronger and easy to find, a th350 will bolt right in, the 700r4 will require a modded transmember and driveshaft.

i did the same swap on my 81 regal years ago, i try to help with any other questions you have....

I did the swap back in 94 or so. I used everything from a 78 regal with a chevy 305. You can't use the 200 metric anyway if that is what was bolted to the v6, the bolt pattern is different and won't bolt to the chevy engine. If it is the 200-4-r then it will bolt up to the small block chevy no problem. keep in mind that if you are going from the 200 metric to anything else, you may have to modify the cross member trans mount. In other words if you use the trans out of another G body like the monte, then you will need the cross member too. It will make things alot easier. The Monte engine mounts will work or mounts from any G body with the chevy small block. Your power steering pump will more than likely not bolt up to the small block, (I'm pretty sure about this).

I just noticed the date of the original post.... Its 2003. Who dug this up?.....

I did the swap back in 94 or so. I used everything from a 78 regal with a chevy 305. You can't use the 200 metric anyway if that is what was bolted to the v6, the bolt pattern is different and won't bolt to the chevy engine. If it is the 200-4-r then it will bolt up to the small block chevy no problem. keep in mind that if you are going from the 200 metric to anything else, you may have to modify the cross member trans mount. In other words if you use the trans out of another G body like the monte, then you will need the cross member too. It will make things alot easier. The Monte engine mounts will work or mounts from any G body with the chevy small block. Your power steering pump will more than likely not bolt up to the small block, (I'm pretty sure about this).

I just noticed the date of the original post.... Its 2003. Who dug this up?.....

t-poner....i didn't even think to check the date on the original post...:redface: