V8 vs V6

Thanks ,is the oiling system in the LS good enough for a 1000HP.I had also heard the stock pistons are fragile and don"t handle knock at all:confused:Great input Dusty:)

Kevin

The oiling system is great.

The stock pistons and rods aren't ideal for a lot of power. People have been low 9's and 150mph on them but it's like a 109 block at that level...just a matter of time before it comes apart. I'd say a stock LS short block from the junk yard with some upgraded valve springs is good for high 9's but as with anything, the wrong tune-up and it's boom. The heads are awesome in stock form and easily support low 9 second power.

Rod and piston kits for boosted LS engine are no higher than any other engine so once those are swapped you have a good short block that will run 8's. I have a nice straight Regal body at the house. If I didn't have so many irons in the fire now I'd see just how fast I could go for cheap:biggrin:

Wow the hole world must be living under a rock:rolleyes: 1000 HP for 5K.I think you just put every engine builder in the US out of work.I bet they are very reliable and live forever:eek:

LOL! Not the "hole" world, just you :)

Guess again!!! In the past, still today, and even tomorrow a numbers matching car will always fetch more money on the market than one that has been pieced together to suit one's own personal taste.

For someone who wants an all out race car, I can understand dropping a late model LS based motor in between the fender wells. However, once the V8 resides under the hood, no longer should anyone refer disrespect the GN or Turbo Buick namesakes, it then is just a Regal with a turbocharged LS engine. The little turbo 6 cylinder engine in these cars are what made them stand out and draw the attention of car enthusiasts across the globe. These cars have demanded the respect of the V8 crowd on the street and at the strip for over 2 decades now. I know that I'm not about to through in the towel on what makes my car the legendary Grand National just because of a new fad.

I'm not going to argue a numbers matching GN with a V6 is going to fetch more $$. I wasn't talking about that. We all know it will!!!! I am talking about all out power vs. $$

Our experiences in real life out there on our streets at cruises ect. with the LSx GN we get a TON of respect and they call the car a GN so I don't know what to tell you there I am not making this stuff up!!! I would have never believed it if I wasn't there and witness it!!

nothing to do with your post, a friend bought a gnx with 45 miles on the clock,
i think the # is 85
nice car and a lot of money,
later oc,

In an all out race car I agree, go with the LS motor. The aftermarket parts are abundant and technology is mainstream today. However, when trying to market that vehicle for sale takes a certain person to be interested in a particular race car to make a sale. Dollar invested/dollar recouped which one will attain the better % return on investment, a high dollar race car, a street/strip car with the factory turbocharged V6, or a street/strip car with a V8 conversion?

There are alot of people out there that don't realize that these cars came from the factory with a turbocharged V6. Example, my former neighbor (ran the paint shop at a GM plant) and his father came over to the garage on day that I was tinkering with the GN. They were discussing about how these cars were all the rave back in the late '80s and through the '90s. Finally, they got to discussing the engine in it and were blown away when I popped the hood to find a little V6. Therefore it is either people's lack of knowlegde or ignorance about these black Buicks.

It's hard for people to accept that grandpa's 6 cylinder sedan just put a whipping on their high dollar sports car. Why do you think the Chevy, Ford and Mopar crowds look down there noses at us, no respect.

ls vs v6 should be the title to this thread

Is This LS-powered Crossbred Road Runner Sacrilegious? - LSXTV.com

Buick guys shouldn't feel alone. The craze is now getting into classic Dodge muscle cars too. :(

It's just the me to thing to do. Put an ls in it. Same when you own a mustang, mod it, drive it, then tell buddies about it the reply is always me too!

With a TR it's a mystique. A few bolt on mods with shiny paint will get the attention. Don't even matter how fast it is. People see the sinister look with the legendary v6 and they start to wonder. Hmmmmm is it a 13 second car or an 8 second car. Can hardly ever tell what you are up against when you pull up next to a gn so either way you're in a lose lose situation. Win against it with a heavily modified v8 car you better have a serious piece of machinery because if you barely win you're going to be ragged on. Lose to it and you might as well go to the dollar store to get a clearance rack disguise :biggrin:

Fantasy Island

Our experiences in real life out there on our streets at cruises ect. with the LSx GN we get a TON of respect and they call the car a GN so I don't know what to tell you there I am not making this stuff up!!! I would have never believed it if I wasn't there and witness it!!

This coming from a guy who keeps BULLSH!T in his sig !!:confused:

Good luck with the build, Raj. Whatever you build I know it will be sweet. That '82 you built was really nice!

I always wanted a Hurst Olds and put a 455 Olds in it.
26579640002_large.jpg

As for this thread.. Why not just get a regal instead of a turbo regal to put the LS motor in?

Good luck with the build, Raj. Whatever you build I know it will be sweet. That '82 you built was really nice!

Thanks man! I think it will be cool. It won't have anything for that TA though :eek:

Have you tested it at the track yet?

This coming from a guy who keeps BULLSH!T in his sig !!:confused:

JD, I really don't know what you are getting at. Your car is slow and you have never went fast and never will and will NEVER know what it takes to be on top so just move on and put your buddy Don's balls back in your mouth and keep working them because you are the best of the best in that category.

Thanks man! I think it will be cool. It won't have anything for that TA though :eek:

Have you tested it at the track yet?

any updates on your project? I know a guy over by Oxford with a bad ass V6 Syclone he is finishing up

any updates on your project? I know a guy over by Oxford with a bad ass V6 Syclone he is finishing up

I know the same guy, he actually lives about 3 minutes from me. That's a bad ass truck. Actually I'm hoping Kip will be working on this one as well.

We're going to use a junkyard engine and an 80mm to start just because I want to get the car running asap. Then we'll do the better combo later. It's getting dropped off at another friends house for the fab work tomorrow, then going to paint, then likely going to Kip for final assembly.

put a v8 in take half the cars value out .. cause all you have is a hacked up turbo buick with a v8 in it ...

I'm going to have a turbo lsx Grand National that isn't hacked up and can be put back to stock...I even kept all my original v6 crap including that damn powermaster :biggrin:

Guess again!!! In the past, still today, and even tomorrow a numbers matching car will always fetch more money on the market than one that has been pieced together to suit one's own personal taste.

For someone who wants an all out race car, I can understand dropping a late model LS based motor in between the fender wells. However, once the V8 resides under the hood, no longer should anyone refer disrespect the GN or Turbo Buick namesakes, it then is just a Regal with a turbocharged LS engine. The little turbo 6 cylinder engine in these cars are what made them stand out and draw the attention of car enthusiasts across the globe. These cars have demanded the respect of the V8 crowd on the street and at the strip for over 2 decades now. I know that I'm not about to through in the towel on what makes my car the legendary Grand National just because of a new fad.

I guess you are going to have to come pry the power 6 badges off my car, along with the other emblems, floor mats, VIN #, and rpo sticker, because my car is a Grand National and has been a Grand National whether it was bone stock, and when it was 4.1L with a 67mm turbo and nitrous, and it will remain a Grand National when it suddenly has 2 more cylinders and a motor that can send oil to bearings instead of my driveway. Based on your logic, if you modified your car at all, it's no longer a Grand National because that's not how Buick built it.

I'm a V6 guy I bought a new GN in 87 I like to see them stay V6..anyways ask Kip about the LS motor he has laying around the guy that owns the Syclone had a TBSS and was going to put a that engine in it.

If I remember right it was a 8 second turbo engine 377 truck block, callies crank, GRP's, Diamond pistons and a set of heads ported buy total air flow the engine is at Kip's because the guy went with a 427.

In stock form the LS motors cant be beat.

But, I keep hearing about all these $500.00 LS 5.3 engines around ...Where ? Every time I find one for that it has over 150-160k miles on it.:eek:

In stock form the LS motors cant be beat.

But, I keep hearing about all these $500.00 LS 5.3 engines around ...Where ? Every time I find one for that it has over 150-160k miles on it.:eek:

A friend of mine has an aluminum LS1 from a 2001 WS6 he's selling the whole long block with rockers and everything for like $950 I think. It's always been stock, never sprayed, and ran 12s before removal.

I'm a V6 guy I bought a new GN in 87 I like to see them stay V6..anyways ask Kip about the LS motor he has laying around the guy that owns the Syclone had a TBSS and was going to put a that engine in it.

If I remember right it was a 8 second turbo engine 377 truck block, callies crank, GRP's, Diamond pistons and a set of heads ported buy total air flow the engine is at Kip's because the guy went with a 427.

Yeah I can't use aluminum rods because this thing is going to be cruised often. I already have one race car, don't want to end up with another one.