Value of an 88 IROC??? Your Thoughts...

GSJohn

First year GS
Wondering what you guys would pay for an 88 Chev IROC Z28, original owner with 13,609 original/acutal miles. The car is like a new! Red, with the 350 engine and auto trans. Original everything, tires, exhaust, brakes,.....
I would like your thoughts....I can get it for $13,500.00.
Do you think that is a good price?
Thanks for your time.
John

Attachments

• IMG_1209 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1209 (Large).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 176
umm....I wouldn't pay that unless you have a super love affair with that car. I know the mileage isn't the same, but just as a comparison, I paid $12,500 out the door for my 2002 35th anniv. Z28, leather, T Tops, chrome wheels, Monsoon audio, 42K miles and not a scratch on it, with brand new tires and a K&N filter.

the ONLY thing that makes that car "desireable" is the 350 TPI motor and the low mileage. Those cars mainly held a special place in the hearts of 16 year old kids or 40 year old gas station attendants with mullets and 6 teeth, who still rock out to Warrant or The Scorpions....

no offense to 3rd Gen owners, especially TTA's, but at least the TTA's are classy 3rd Gens. The Camaro never did much for me between 1973 and 1997, then they got it right and proceeded to kill it.

I thought all IROC's had the 305 TPI. My buddy had an 88' and it was 305.

Just curious.

although I disagree with tom tom on the cool factor of the 3rd gen camaro, I like them, one of the best looking camaros IMO. also, ive never had or never will havea mullet and have all my teeth. I do agree that that proce seems high. yes it has super low miles, but its not worth that kind of money. id say probally its around book + 1 maybe 2k. dont know for 13.5 you can get a REALLY nice GN or a REALLY REALLY nice low milage T.

I would take the Louvers off, but I have seen them in similar shape for sale for 12K!

Nice car, and I think alot did come with 350's.

I have an 88 GTA with 37K that I will not take any less then you are thinking!

Find the right buyer.....

Just to put this in perspective, I saw an 85 Iroc with 7K on it back in 1999 and the guy wanted $7K for it. I have no idea what a nice IROC would sell for though. $13,500 seems like a high number. But it is one of those if you want it and they are hard to find nice ones like this one. Good luck. :cool:

IROCs came with l98s (350 tpi) starting in 87 (a very rare few in 86), LB9's (305 tpi), L03's (305 tbi), and i think there were even a few LG4 Irocs early on... I dont think ive ever heard of any L69 cars though.. could be wrong

the 350 only came with auto
the 305 tpi came in either stick or auto but the stick cars had better cams up till 91-92 which by then were no longer irocs (name was dropped)

the 85 305 tpi auto (the only way it came) came with a good cam

Im a big thirdgen fan, never had a mullet in my life and Im quite well aware of the negative stereo type. Its unfortunate, but louvers, white letter tires, and Kmart knock off auto-drags have done much to malign the Thirdgen. Thirdgens are an awesome platform for a road race car because of the good suspension and light weight. Mine weighed sub 3000 lbs with not that much removed.

I think that price is a little high for what you can find on the market

That said, its definately a clean car... I couldnt leave it alone, it would end up something like this :)

Video - Red 3rd Gen Iroc - Japan

anyway, visit ThirdGen.org to learn more
best thirdgen site on the internet

The 85s had the L69 with a 5 speed. My dad had a brand new 85 TA TPI. I loved that car. A friend of mine had a white 88 350 hard top and 88 305 conv back in the day. They are cool cars. I would consider getting one down the road. But I will stick with my TTA for now. :D

Prices on third gen f-body cars has gone up in the last five years . those cars were awsome in their day. and yes i still have a mullet. the only problem with these cars is that they were not that fast. they look way cool. 13,500 is to much money for that car. its nice .but not that nice. i was always a gta person myself. trans ams look better .but that is just my opinion. but i have seen these cars bring big money. in the mid twentys .they are catching up to late model fbodys.If you really like the car and have disposable money to buy it. do it . although i would offer 10,000 and see what that brings .let us know and post more pics if you get it . good luck

Beautiful car! I love third Gens. Between my wife and I we have had 8 of them! They have all be Tran am though. I have always wanted an IROC.
The only thing that would keep me from that car is the No T Top deal. I love having the tops of and crusing some windy roads with a WS6 suspention!

Go for it!

I'm also a 3rd gen camaro lover! (See Sig). Although that one is a nice example and a low miler, 13.5 is too much for almost any 3rd gen. Sorry,but there were just WAY to many produced for them to hold much value. If I had the "pesos" I might go 10-10.5 on such a car. But then again, if you're really really in love with it, price is of little concern. Bone stock out of the box, there just wasn't much on the road that could out handle them. Put a decent set of tires on them and they were even better.

a problem very easily remidied. :)

I'd just spray that car. I had a 406 TPI's motor. Aluminum Brodix heads.I had pretty big cash in it. The sad thing is my TTA with a turbo and injectors would have smoked it. :D

I like the 3rd gens more than the 4th. Kind of a toss up between the 3g and a 2nd gen though. Yep 13G is a bit over priced. I used to have one of the 2400 or so L69 85 IROCs. Rare numbers dont mean chit to the Chevy guys. I used a 87 L98 IROC back when it was new in Solo2. Low end grunt up the ying-yang! There wasn't a Fox body that could come close to it. Come to think of it I layed waste to quite a few Vettes too. Just like the TR I think the 235/245HP rating was a little low. I remember a few low 14/hi 13 L98 cars back in the late 80's.

Here's a little Camarobird trivia. The L98(350TPI) only came with the THM700-R4 auto. You could order T-tops with the L98 on any model of Camaro but you could not on the Firebird. The only way to get the T-tops and L98 on a 'bird was to order the Formula 350. Something about a L98 GTA/TA with the T-tops weighing to much for it to pass federal emissions testing.

Now if by chance that IROC has the super ultra rare 1LE option than it would probally be worth twice that. I doubt it though. They only made 4 1LE cars in 1988.