Valve Springs Not Beehives

Blown&Injected

Beehives do not work for street engines according to Comp Cams even though they recommend them for our cars. Too much seat pressure.

I say this because to get closed pressure right, the open pressure will be too low.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

You dont need alot of open seat pressure with beehives and beehive retainers. The point in having alot of pressure, is to overcome valve float. There is inherently less valve float with a beehive setup because of it's reduced weight. Dont let any jackass salesman confuse you. Use the springs that the engineers who made them recommend, and install them at the seat pressure they recommend. The salespeople dont design the components. In fact, many of them probably dont even know basic algebra, let alone engineering principals.

Blown&Injected said:
Beehives do not work for street engines according to Comp Cams even though they recommend them for our cars. Too much seat pressure.

I say this because to get closed pressure right, the open pressure will be too low.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

call comp and ask for Brian Brannon. he knows his shat and isnt just another "jackass" salesman.

he built my 98 ram air TA and turned it into a low 11 sec street car.

hes good at what he does and he wont steer you wrong on parts.

Its all about the BEEhive springs. Russ Merritt knows all about beehive springs.

Would like to hear how his set up is working out. Sounds like it is very similar to mine and if I recall correctly, been reading so much stuff lately, he set the Beehives up at about 1.73 or 1.74"; lots of pressure on the seat.

There is inherently less valve float with a beehive setup because of it's reduced weight
I'm sure there is less float with the beehive, but I think the spring pressure has more to do with it than the weight. The weight of the keeper, and of about half a valve spring, is not that big compared to the weight of a lifter full of oil, plus a pushrod full of oil, plus the valve, and the rocker. I don't know the actual numbers, but considering the fact that most run the engines less than 6,000 rpm, it would just seem to be not that big a deal. PLEASE NOTE- we're talking STREET ENGINES, not the race engines that do turn higher rpm. If you've got a race engine, you kind of expect to tear into it every now and then to spruce up the valves, check rings/bearings, etc.