valve springs question

ONLYAV6

On my limited with 92,000 miles I have the original valve springs. I do not want to go high tech, I would like to replace them with the somewhat of a stock springs so I don't do any damage to my motor what spring would you guys recomend.

Thank You
Patrick

Comp 980's either with the internal dampeners and no cups, or cups and no internal dampeners. The cups are little cups that the stock springs fit inot and are already on the car now, just reuse then, they serve the same purpose as the internal dampeners on the 980's, just it causes the spring to be compressed slightly more due to the thickness of the cup bottoms so that will increase seat pressure just slightly. I think 980's have around aboutn 80-85# at installed height with the cups.

Sry to get into your Question i just wanted to now if u can use the cup whit the Iternal Dampeners The way they come boxed or can that damage some thing.

Originally posted by scarface
Sry to get into your Question i just wanted to now if u can use the cup whit the Iternal Dampeners The way they come boxed or can that damage some thing.
I actually did it that way and it gives it a few more lbs of seat pressure at the installed height. The reason your would remove one or the other is to be closer to the original seat pressure of around 79 or 80 lbs...I think that was what it was originally.

Originally posted by scarface
Soo its ok to use CC980 with the cups and nothing will happen
Yes they will work fine with the cups. The cup makes the spring be compressed slightly more than stock original, maybe 1/16", causing you to have slightly more seat pressure, maybe 5#, but still not as high as the 100# LT1 springs that alot of vendors sell. The cups or the internal dampener is supposed to reduce revibration in the spring, using both won't hurt that I've ever heard and I've been running them that way in my car for 10k miles or more.

Thanks Guys for the info.

I found this on kirbins website will these be ok.

This set of 12 heavy-duty valve springs are the correct size for the 1984-1987 Turbo Regals. The originals were about 80 lb test when new, these stonger springs are approx. 100 lb test.

These springs are one of the first things that should be replaced on any drivetrain with over 65,000 miles on it. By installing new valve springs, it will give the car a sharper acceleration and increase rpm by 200-300.

Since we purchase these direct, we are able to offer them at a very reasonable price. Another great way to restore performance to your car.
Fits: 1984-1987 Turbo Regal

Personnaly I think the 100# LT1 springs are too much pressure and would not want to risk wiping a cam lobe. Stock originals are around 75-80# new. Seems like mine when I removed them were around 62#. With the comp 980s being around 80-85#, you have a little room for them to weaken and still be well within the stock seat pressure. I know there are a lot of people running the 100# springs but I chose not to. You can get a set of Comp 980s from Jegs or Summit for about $45.

dampners....

Using the internal dampener and the outer cup style dampener will work. There is a possibility that the internal dampener will grab the intake valve seal and pop it off the top of the guide! Also, the bottom of the retainer where the internal dampener will seat against does not allow the dampener to sit squarely. it could bind the internal dampener enough to cause it to break( speaking from experience). I have seen this happen to many times. I recommend using just the external cup style dampener by itself. Also, considering the mileage on the cam, stock rated valve springs should work just fine. Hope this helps.

internal dampener will seat against does not allow the dampener to sit squarely. it could bind the internal dampener enough to cause it to break

Anyone else have this happen? I just changed over to 980's with internal dampener.

Originally posted by Turbo86GN
Anyone else have this happen? I just changed over to 980's with internal dampener.
That's the first I've read of something negative happening with the internal dampener and I read tons of posts before I got mine, and most recommend just tossing the cups and keeping the internal dampeners in.