Valve springs replaced already???????

JerseyGN

Well, I have a 3 day weekend so I decided I would change the valve springs and put my new radiator in my 109k 87 GN this weekend. I bought CC 980's and new valve seals.

After pulling the first spring off I noticed that there was already a blue viton seal on the valve! From what I've read these cars did not come with such a seal. Because of this I think the springs have already been changed. The springs in the car now are still sitting in the cups but they are a single coil. I thought I read that there was a damper(?) inside the original springs.

Everything I've seen on the car to this point has led me to believe the car was still factory original. Including the stock air cleaner box.

I've changed 2 springs so far but I'm wondering if I should just put those 2 springs back and leave the springs in there alone???? Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Do you need this car for work? If not i would take one of the removed ones and have it tested and see if its new. That would save you from replacing them needlessly.

Scott

Originally posted by IrvJr
Do you need this car for work? If not i would take one of the removed ones and have it tested and see if its new. That would save you from replacing them needlessly.

Scott

I just changed mine as well, the stock damper is a metal casing that wraps around the outside of the spring. There is no internal damper on the stock, just the external damper. If it was me, I would change them since you go the 980s ready to install. My car would fall flat around 4700, now it pulls up to 5200-5300 before shifting. How is your car running ( max RPM)? Were you having trouble with your car or did you decide to change them just in case they were weak? I'm curious how the new springs affects your boost settings, mine had to be readjusted after the spring install ( 18 before, was 15 after the install).

No, I don't need the car for work. However, it can't stay in non-running condition where it is now for very long.

The car would still pull into the 5200 range but at 100k+ I felt it was the smart thing to do. I don't drive the car very much as I'm still trying to do a bunch of work to get it in good order. I'll have to see about the boost as mentioned but it was at around 17 lbs before but it was inconsistent.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try and locate somebody to test the springs tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave