Valve springs, which ones?

liquidh8

Good morning all. My engine is easily accessible, since the body is on the rotisserie. I was thinking of replacing the valve springs on the engine, I have read about the COMP 979's, 980's, LS1 beehives, Kirbans, etc.

This is currently a stock cam, I will be upgrading to a roller at a later date, but since this will be my daily driver, 50-60 miles per day, I just want everything to be good to go. I will be placing an order with Kirbans here today, so I may just get those springs.

Any opinions? Thanks all.

I ran the comp 980s for 20k miles on my stocker before finally getting around to my upgrades and the factory cam showed no issues after 80k miles total. Good thinking to take care of that while the body is off. Not the hardest job in the world by any means but why sweat if you don't have to ;)

Ok thanks guys, I am leaning towards the Kirbans springs. They are affordable, along with the shaft braces. I have run plenty of COMPS in my SBC and BBC, even run the LS6 springs in my last SBC with the Vortec heads. Never had a problem with either.

Going to a roller at this point would be much easier to do with no risk of damaging fresh body work off a rotisserie. It wouldn't be a question in my mind, get it done now. There are several reasonably priced roller packages available from one of the board members or vendors. Check into it, might save you from a bigger headache later.

I agree it would be much easier, but I am trying to get the car on the road, and the funds are quickly running out. So, for now, I ordered the Kirbans springs and I will just replace the stockers. I will have piece of mind that they are new and not week.

Thanks guys!

It would be a good idea to replace the rocker shafts,rocker arms and the plastic buttons for the arms for peace of mind. These parts don't cost a lot and can save you some heartache if those old parts do fail after all these years.