very low cars...question

GregInAtl

Did anyone have to remove the inner fenders to accomodate drop spindles/springs/air ride set up? I am prepping to install drop spindles and I am 2" off the inner fender already,(old saggy eibachs on it being replaced w/ ST drop spring F&R too) I dont think its gonna roll 2" below where it sits now, it looks like the tire will contact the inner fender. The inner fender being flat 2" inside the fender lip seems like a real bad design for wheel clearance, I guess this is why most "slammed" GNs seem to have a wheel shoved way back in the opening, almost pizza cutter style. I'd love to run lqarge diameter and 8.5" wide and sit real low, "Foose style". (tucked front tires) I am currently on 16" x8" Enkei GTA style rims, and a 245/50-16 F&R.
Anyone w/ experience please reply, those who cringe at the thought of this, or hate a lowered car, go to the next thread....

I had stock front springs and drop spindles when I bought the GN, but when I put 245/50/16's on with GTA rims, they would rub on any type of bump. Contacted exactly where you say, at the flat spot. Rather than cutting the inner fender or customizing it to accomodate the tire, I swapped out front spindles/rear springs with another guy. Doesn't look as good IMO, or seem to corner as well, but it doesn't rub anymore:frown:

i just installed coilovers and have the car sitting really low, and have the same problem. I have 17x8s up front and like how they fill out the wheel well but can't stand the rubbing. Ive seen cars that had the inner fender modified but ive decided on just changing to 17x7s up front and tucking it in a bit more. These are not the easiest cars to drop a lot without problems.

JDSfastGN saw mine this past weekend. Mine rubbed like hell when I first put them on, I trimed the inner well to clear the tire, had to cut quite a bit but totally not noticable unless you get under to see. Car is lowered about 1-1/2" on the front.
I hated to cut the car up but, did it anyhow.
Good luck

Thanks guys, I May do some major chopping under the fenders to see "what it takes" to make one fully operable at a real low height. The suck thing is how drop spindles screw up your susp arch (Moving it up 2") to get the drop....but you can only lower a car so many ways...
I saw a Monte on this site that is Eagle 212s 18s and 20s, and on the ground, and said he drives it alot w/o probs, Does anyone know him? (Spindles and older springs off a diff vehicle) This is someone that could help us I bet. My pics of it are too large to post it says....suck.

Thx, I had read that and am looking at options to "fix" the issue w/ spindles. I do wantto use them since springs alone wont get the height/drop I desire. Has anyone used tubular LCAs or UCAs from any of the advertised places in mini truck magazines like Thorby Brothers, (Suicidedoors.com) or airbagit.com? Would we use s-10s or C series trucks for our application? I know these have adjustable joints and could only help in dealing w/ clearance issues.
Thanks for the replies, I may end up as another ziz-wheel modifier!

Drop Spindles

I just installed lowering springs and Bell Tech spindles. I also did the LS1 brake upgrade which pushed the wheels out a bit. I run front four Trans Am wheels and the driver's side rubs bad. I have been running 245-50-16 up front but had to go to a 225-55-16 and it still rubs. I just bought two Trans Am (rears) and will put them in front. I have heard that the offset will put more tire on the inside of the well. Maybe I can go back to a 245-50-16. Hope this helps. I can send pics if you want. Thanks Michael

turboclam3, lets see some pics!!!!! Maybe post some in the PIC,Video section under Lets see some lowered cars!

Pics please. I try to keep a long list of what works and what doesnt regarding th e"other side" (Big wheels and lowered ) The more info the better....
Turboclam3, did you do 4F&R ST springs or rear only?

My car is bagged with 8 inch wide 18's ,, unless Im really dropped I dont have any clearence problams with my inner fender wells ,,, I wanted to leave the car stock other wise ...

When I park my car ,, I drop it all the way down and it rubs but 1 inch up it clears just fine !!

My car is bagged with 8 inch wide 18's ,, unless Im really dropped I dont have any clearence problams with my inner fender wells ,,, I wanted to leave the car stock other wise ...

When I park my car ,, I drop it all the way down and it rubs but 1 inch up it clears just fine !!

arent you on drop spindles also?!

Drop spindles move the tire up in the wheel well the largest tire I could use with no rubbing was a 205.
Drop spindles suck they look great but cause alot of problems.
If you want Foose look on a GN remove inner wheel wells.:eek:

I'm running Beltech 2" drop SS Imapala spindles (12" brakes). with Global West tubular uppers. My front tires are 235/45/17 on 8" Boyd wheels. I had to use spacers to get the proper positioning which took some measuring and calculating. When I hit a serious dip in the road I get a little rubbing and also when turning near full lock, like making a U turn, the tire hits the back of the fenderwell which doesn't cause any real problem. The tires/wheels are tucked in the fenderwell about the equivalent to stock location but I'm pleased with the look overall and with significantly stiffer springs it handles nicely.
I'd post a pic or two but I don't know how to go from digital camera to this site.
MLH

i just installed 17x7s with 4" BS and 235s up front to counter my tire rubbing problems. Last night it didn't rub a bit even with a passenger on some pretty big dips that used to scrub pretty hard. I liked the wider 8" wheels but am happy enough to not have any rubbing. My car from the ground to the top fender lip is 24.8" with coilovers and Howe longer lower ball joints. Now i just have to get my rear TT2s as shiny as my new front 17x7s haha.

Drop spindles move the tire up in the wheel well the largest tire I could use with no rubbing was a 205.
Drop spindles suck they look great but cause alot of problems.
If you want Foose look on a GN remove inner wheel wells.:eek:

Thats the plan, remove after a MAJOR trim, and refab some more spacious liners for the fender using the cut one as a frame.
I like what drop spindles do, and I am trying to get fully educated on the effect they will have on my wheel travel arc, so I can get correct offset wheel. I want to run a 235/35-19 in the front on a 8" wheel.
thaanks for all the input. Xcessive, Ive said it more than once on here, your car.....WOW!
To get a wheel polished back out try Busch's aluminum polish and the sealer available from Flynn Distributers. Automotive
You'll hrow you Mothers mag and billet polish in the trash!! Water proof sealer on polished wheels rules!!!

Thx, I had read that and am looking at options to "fix" the issue w/ spindles. I do wantto use them since springs alone wont get the height/drop I desire. Has anyone used tubular LCAs or UCAs from any of the advertised places in mini truck magazines like Thorby Brothers, (Suicidedoors.com) or airbagit.com? Would we use s-10s or C series trucks for our application? I know these have adjustable joints and could only help in dealing w/ clearance issues.
Thanks for the replies, I may end up as another ziz-wheel modifier!

If you use drop springs and the Howes ball joints, you will accomplish your goal of the 2" with having to cut up your car. The Howe's ball joints drop the car 7/8" alone. Otherwise you could do ATS's AFX spindles like I did along with drop springs but this will be quite pricey. I have 8" rims up front with a 4 3/4" bs but I run 13" C5 brakes and C5 hubs so this pushes the wheel out 1/2" so you could get away with 4 1/4 bs with stock brakes.

Wow good info. I have ready to install the Bell tech spindles and Susp tech 1" drop springs for all 4 corners. I really dont mind cutting the inner fender liner, to make it turn and drive, especially if I will have to a little anyway. I am considering waiting to do an install until I get tubular control arms, but I'm afraid I am getingto a point where alll the info I have found wont help, I have too many variables.
I want to run 19x8 fronts w/ 235/35-19
20x10 rear w/ 275/30-20....
When I talked w/ MHT about Foose wheels they suggested a 5.25 offset on a 8.5" wheel. so if I need more backspacing for spindles to get the tire off the inner lip, .....It'd be CRAZY offset. Wouldnt it?! I am working off this page for reference,
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES
I am dizzy, I better go lay down! :p

What is the total height? Just so you know, you really dont need tubular A arms. How much did you pay for a set? Are they uppers or lowers or both? The best way to make the front suspension actually work and eliminate bump steer is to get adjustable upper control arms or just simply do taller Howes ball joints. Spindles do not correct our cars' horrible front end geometry. They are only for looks, thats it. They lift the wheels straight up into the fender when loaded. You want the wheel to move up and in when loaded, which also allows you to run larger diameter wheels because of the shape of the inner fender. The inner fender gets shallower towards the fender. If the wheels moves up and in, there is more space to utilize. This also keeps the tread on the ground when cornering.

I have not picked up the a-arms yet, but I am willing to get them to help w/ the bump steer. I know I need adjustable ones, hopefully we adjust them in some since I am already losing clearance w/ drop spindles. I realize all they are for is drop, thats all I want them for though. I like the way GNs ride on lowered springs and stiff shocks, thats how mine will ride except another 2" drop in the front w/ the spindles, and a trunk w/ a lil audio should sag the rear 1/2" or so. What brand of adj upper a-arms are recommended? I see many companies selling uppers and lowers together, and I know we share some parts w/ S-10s...will S-10 tubular a-arms work equally well, since there is great selection in every mini truck magazine.
I appreciate the input, this is the first RWD I have tried to make a show and go car.