Victor Reinz head bolts

Schlodes

Scone Wizard
Putting a GN motor back together for someone and he bought these torque to angle headbolts. The instructions call for 25 lb tq, then step 2 90*, step 3 90*, but under this it says "60 tq may be reached during step 2, if so do not repeat step 3.

Installing the bolts sure enough it hit 60 ft lbs in step two for every bolt, I can't believe this is all the tq the head bolts need, seems to low to me.:confused:

Anyone used these or have any info, thanks.

I would suggest a set of ARP bolts instead. They are torqued to 75 ft./lbs. 60 is a bit low. Make sure the threads are chased in the block, too. Use teflon thread sealant on all the head bolts and usr ARP lube on both sides of the washer (ARP bolts that is.) Or you can use 20w-50 racing oil. I even use ARP lube on std head bolts with no washer. (under the bolt head on chevy's and other cars.)

Well I got my hands on one of the big Buick shop manuals, and it says the exact same thing, if you reach 60 lbs tq on the first 90*, leave it. Looks like thats the procedure on the TTY bolts. :smile:

FWIW I used a set of felpro head bolts and the instructions in the box didn't mention the 60 ft-lb limit. I decided to use the bolt specific instructions and not the Buick instructions. I never had a problem and that heatgasket was perfect when I tore the engine down. And in case you're wondering yes, it saw LOTS of boost.

Thanks,

The instructions for the Victor bolts and the Buick Shop Manual were both exactly the same so I can only assume the bolt design is exactly the same as far as stretch etc.:confused: