Vin numbers

LANDAU LIMITED

Today at a show I saw a GN with the vin numbers stenciled in white on the quarter glass and front windshield. I don't ever remember seeing that before, has anyone else?
20220626_145441.jpg
20220626_145353.jpg

I've seen it on several cars from the 90's. It was big thing back then. Supposedly to keep the thieves away........

It was a big thing too back in the 2006 era when I bought the 2006 sierra. Although the engraving was better and harder to spot. Most of the dealers were doing it to
rape a few more dollars out of the customer. Adding it to the sticker as a dealer installed option for $150, rolmfao.
The truck was sitting there for quite a while so told them I wasn't paying for it or the crapping bedliner. Made them change the tailgate for one that didn't have holes drilled in it for the tailgate bedliner piece. They're slick operators.

I have them on my car since the early '90's but I didn't pay for it. It was the insurance company who offered it free to their customers to discourage theft. It was done with special sandblast gun into which they entered the last 8 or 9 last numbers of the vehicle's serial number and then sandblasted the numbers on the car's components.
Claude.
IMG_20220626_212255.jpg

Learn a new thing everyday. Thanks. I thought it might be a theft recovery thing if the original vin plate was removed.

It was a big thing too back in the 2006 era when I bought the 2006 sierra. Although the engraving was better and harder to spot. Most of the dealers were doing it to
rape a few more dollars out of the customer. Adding it to the sticker as a dealer installed option for $150, rolmfao.
The truck was sitting there for quite a while so told them I wasn't paying for it or the crapping bedliner. Made them change the tailgate for one that didn't have holes drilled in it for the tailgate bedliner piece. They're slick operators.
Some folks want that kind of stuff, they don't realize they can do better getting it aftermarket, but then again, they just might not want to mess with all of it....... Drive it off the lot with all they wanted.

Adding it to the sticker as a dealer installed option for $150,
Add in the bullshit deal with the "documentation fees", etc.
When I asked, he told me it was for "paperwork & additional profit". He then proceeded to tell me "Here's your lic paperwork. You'll have to go to the courthouse and the DMV to get the plate".
The deal went sideways at that point.
"Good, here's the keys back. Give me the keys to my old truck, we're done".
Then the crying, bitching, threats ensued.
I walked. A yr later the feds shut his ass down... Bill Heard Chevrolet.

He got shut down across the entire country!

In Scottsdale, they were a customer of mine at the time, shafted us out of tens of thousands of dollars.

They gave the shop techs 3 hours to get all their stuff out of the shop before the Feds came in and seized everything. It was a fucking madhouse.
My buddies Corvette was in there for service and got impounded for almost 2 months. He traded it in the day he got it back.