VIN rivets

slay

Not sure where to post this so am doing it here.

I read in another thread that a way to tell if a VIN plate was tampered with was by the rivets and that GM "flowered" them to make them hard to copy.

Was hoping someone could look at this image and tell me if they look correct.

flowered-rivets-small.jpg

It looks to me that it has not been tampered with and the actual VIN does match the trunk lid. Near as I can tell it is legit but was hoping for the opinion of an expert.

Thanks

-

Thank you. I don't know why but I just have a weird feeling about this car. Carfax was all good. The numbers match. Everything seems right. I just know I am missing something though.

I just know I am missing something though.
Check the frame VIN. Above/to the left of the dr side upper control arm mount, on the flat part of the x member.
Also, on the top of the frame, under the drivers door area.

Attachments

• 86T Type frame vin 002.jpg
    86T Type frame vin 002.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 86T Type frame vin 001.jpg
    86T Type frame vin 001.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 114
I don't have the means to do that right now. I did look under the "body by fisher" plate at the sill of the driver door but it is not legible because paint.

Will have to wait til I can get the car somewhere I can check those spots.

So it is possible the body was put on another G body frame at this point. The suck...

--edit--

My fear may be for nothing. I found the old listing for the car. Not the guy I bought it from but the previous owner to him. He had the car listed as needing some work and it definitely looked rough but not so bad one would swap frames. Seems the guy I got it from bought it and sprayed it / gave it some TLC that was needed. Before that I believe the carfax as there were only 2 other owners.

I am still gonna check the frame locations when I get to a place that is possible. not my garage...

Last edited: