vin tag fix

ok say you were restoring your gn and your shell was rusty or unrepairable and you had to replace the shell with another, what vin tag would you use? say the shell you used was from a regular regal.
i am talking body off frame.

its not just the body shell you have to consider------the vin is also stamped on the frame in an inconspicuous place-------i know about this cause my hobby is restoring GN's---------all laws are subject to intrepertation and i can say first hand that different DMV officers see this issue somewhat differently---------i found out years ago that i had to "shop around" till i found an officer that understood what my goals were and gave me the answer i wanted------once you have his blessing (on paper)you are covered------but you still have to do it on a car by car basis............RC

I'm an insurance appraiser. I was handling a claim that the vehicle sustained a heavy hit to the driver side A pillar. The whole dash/firewall section needed replaced. The shop owner had to have a State Highway Patrol officer present when he removed the vin plate. The officer returned a week later when the repairs were done. He brought the rivets and watched it being installed. They don't mess around with this stuff.

its not just the body shell you have to consider------the vin is also stamped on the frame in an inconspicuous place-------i know about this cause my hobby is restoring GN's---------all laws are subject to intrepertation and i can say first hand that different DMV officers see this issue somewhat differently---------i found out years ago that i had to "shop around" till i found an officer that understood what my goals were and gave me the answer i wanted------once you have his blessing (on paper)you are covered------but you still have to do it on a car by car basis............RC

and by the way------in NC the DMV officers carry guns------not the kind of guys you want to take lightly.............RC

ok say you were restoring your gn and your shell was rusty or unrepairable and you had to replace the shell with another, what vin tag would you use? say the shell you used was from a regular regal.
i am talking body off frame.

A VIN is assigned to a SPECIFIC body. If the body is no good the VIN is no good. If you use a regular regal body as a replacement, by LAW the regular regal VIN tag should never be removed. Anything else is a Felony

Here's another thread on the subject of retagging a VIN http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sh...y-repair/229151-vin-restoration-question.html

Here's a good link to Title 18 Donate to the Legal Information Institute

I personally dont have a problem swapping tags on tubs if done correctly and to a point morally. I guess if the law says I can than I'm going to do it. I don't think I'm ever going to try and counterfiet a real VIN tag though.

And you can get by using normal rivets. The dash pad(not the speaker grill) covers them up pretty well so you'd have to pull the dash to inspect them. IMO even the most knowledable cop aint going to suspect it just from looking at the windshield anyway. Like I said. When was the last time you saw a cop check the VIN when he was writing you a ticket or filling out an accident report? Screw the watermark GM logos on the tag. I quick mist of dark silver paint to hide the rust and only Mr Clark could tell. I don't think GM will make you a new VIN tag. Thats really old tooling. If they could than they would use one of the laser etched tags from a current vehicle. How out of place would that look?

Vin

Thanks to all you guys. I new you would come through with lots of input. This is the deal the vin tag was removed by the tool bags that stole it. It is gone. They also cracked the windshield which I removed and brings us to this point. I kicked arround the idea of making one im a good fabricator. If it is good enough then I would not worry about it unless, God forbid I needed to sell it. As far as police checking mine was stolen in milwaukee and I was such a a$$ tryn to get them to do something they have been checking them more. I just saw a gn last fall pulled over and they were checking the vin! What concerns me is if it is parked alone how do they know that the vin is in the door and not missing I dont want it towed every time I leave it alone cuz they think it may be stolen or just want to rape me for tow fees. I will check with the dealer tomarrow when I pick up some stuff but dont expect a good answer.
stack1 were do you work? do you suggest I call the state patrol the cars # all match and not that I am a resto buff but hate the idea of more holes + a different/extra #'s for the car and a diff tag to paint arround when the car gets painted. This is BS! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE JUST KEEP THERE HANDS TO THEMSELF:mad: Sorry. I have but several years of work and good money into her and this is just one more hoop. any other suggestions? thanks again all.

re-VIN'd GNX

But i know for A fact I seen a Vin taken of a gnx and put on another body.. I read about it on this forum..

So Does any1 know of the GNX i'm speaking of

that would be GNX 298 listed on ebay out of PA. then someone else posted the crash pics. whoever was putting the car back together got a donor GN and transferred parts but then transferred the GNX VIN ( and other identifiers) to the rebuilt car so that you would never know it was in a wreck! a big NO NO!

from the archives of that fraud...GNX 298

Attachments

• GNX298-3.JPG
    GNX298-3.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 280
  • GNX298-1.JPG
    GNX298-1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 254
so how do they get away with those "re-body" cars you see on barrett jackson all the time? also alot of states dont even require a title after its so old.
as far as selling vins on ebay it happens take a 69 camaro for example i have seen alot of trim tags on there they will say it comes with other things they just dont mention tag and title.
i saw a trim tag for a 69 z/28 bring some serious money on ebay. :confused:

Here's another thread on the subject of retagging a VIN http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sh...y-repair/229151-vin-restoration-question.html

Here's a good link to Title 18 Donate to the Legal Information Institute

I personally dont have a problem swapping tags on tubs if done correctly and to a point morally. I guess if the law says I can than I'm going to do it. I don't think I'm ever going to try and counterfiet a real VIN tag though.

And you can get by using normal rivets. The dash pad(not the speaker grill) covers them up pretty well so you'd have to pull the dash to inspect them. IMO even the most knowledable cop aint going to suspect it just from looking at the windshield anyway. Like I said. When was the last time you saw a cop check the VIN when he was writing you a ticket or filling out an accident report? Screw the watermark GM logos on the tag. I quick mist of dark silver paint to hide the rust and only Mr Clark could tell. I don't think GM will make you a new VIN tag. Thats really old tooling. If they could than they would use one of the laser etched tags from a current vehicle. How out of place would that look?

I started that first therad on the VIN restoration question because I was considering a tub swap for my T-type that was a little rusty :biggrin: if you know what I mean. After all the research I did and reading the laws I found that it was not illegal to remove a VIN if it was requiered for the repair (like changing a drivers door or trunk lid for example) The thing that is illegal is to remove a VIN with the intention to defraud or conseal stolen property. Keep in mind that like it was said above it is up to the interpretation of the DMV officer so If you get an A** hole you may have a problem but if you explain the situation to a rational person you should be fine. Unfortunatly for me I was not able to find a good body for a reasonable price so I am in the process of fixing all the rust instead of doing the easier body tub swap I was hoping for. I was still considering the body swap until reacently because For every rust hole I fixed it seemed like two more would pop up:mad: but I'm in the home stretch now so hopefuly I will be driving this thing soon.