Vintage Air Conditioning?

mach.80

Thread Killer
O.k. I've ripped the entire factory A/C system out of the car(85GN). I have installed an 08' LQ4/4L80E (6.0) from a Chevy 2500HD.

I want to modernize the car and the last A/C system was shot!

Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences with "Vintage Air".

Does not have to be in a GN.

Thanks Guys.

We did a GN drive train conversion in a 1981 Turbo Trans AM, and had to remove the AC box for down pipe clearance and installed a Vintage Air unit.

The stock GN AC compressor was replaced with the modern unit, and a new mounting bracket at the engine was fabricated.

Their bulkhead connector was used for freon and heat which made for a clean install of the hoses.

All the exsisting TTA heat, AC and defrost outlets were used with new piping under the dash.

Another great thing about the unit is that all controls are electric NOT vacuum. :)

We are looking at installing a Vintage Air system in a GN as well as a street rod, and the GN has more room under the dash than the TTA.

Attachments

• TTA conversion 3.jpg
    TTA conversion 3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 490
Dude ! Absolutly perfect!
I'm glad you added a pic too. I want to put my ac unit on the drivers side too. My car WAS a hot air and my a/c was on the passenger side. i think. So with the a/c on the drivers side I'll have room for the Borg W. EFR down the road.

I was thinking of the GenII Super. Do you think It'll fit?

It took me a while to realize that was an 81. Great job. I wouldn't have known it wasn't a factory car if you didn't say anything.

Thanks again

............I was thinking of the GenII Super. Do you think It'll fit?.......

Do yourself a favor, call Vintage Air and talk with a tech rep about your installation.

They have great customer service and are very helpful. My guess is that someone has done a G body install, or they are familiar with what you want to do.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you! :)

I thought about it to get the monster box off the firewall. I have seen it done on others forums on a g body. I have no idea what cost would be.

I put a generic Vintage Air Gen III SuperCooler unit in my LS/Maverick. The main benefit was getting it all under the dash with nothing sticking out into the engine compartment, and (as stated above) controls are all electric. All quality stuff!

Yep...

Vintage Air Gen 4, Sure fit in my 55. Lots of the 55-57 guys are using them. No reason they wouldn't work in a G body.
Suggest you follow the old fart from AZ, advise...:D:p

Thanks

I'll do some measurements to see what the largest Evaporator I can fit under the dash. As you can see I already ditched the box, and will enjoy the extra room when the time comes for fabbing in the turbo.

I spoke to a Vintage Air personnel. They were helpful and got me headed in the right direction.

The Bulk heads look awesome too.

I added up everything and with the GenII Super the total comes to 1200 bucks.
Good deal to me. I hear all my neighbors getting their newer cars fixed and they are all in the $1000 range. And I'll have ALL new stuff.

Attachments

• 0311101319b.jpg
    0311101319b.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 261
Look around..

I spoke to a Vintage Air personnel. They were helpful and got me headed in the right direction.
I added up everything and with the GenII Super the total comes to 1200 bucks.
Good deal to me. I hear all my neighbors getting their newer cars fixed and they are all in the $1000 range. And I'll have ALL new stuff.

for better pricing. V/A will quote you list prices to protect their dlrs.
Most good rod shops sell them,but don't stock units.
V/A will drop ship, once you buy it from a shop.

Also, look on the bag. Several sellers w/ good prices and frt deals...

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...ries&_odkw=&_osacat=33542&bkBtn=&_trksid=m270