VLOG: My Grand National (re)-build videos

PRSRIZD_V6

Hi Everyone,
I'm a pretty long time member here, I bought my GN when I graduated high school back in 97. I did my best to build it when I was younger, but never had the means while I was in college. I'm also addicted to roundy-round racing so that has taken up most of my time for several years.

Well, the time has finally came to re-build the GN and do everything right. No hacked together exhaust, no more smokey old wore out stock turbo, no more too tight converter... and most of all no more leaks and greasy engine bay (I hope).

I started shooting review videos for my youtube channel this fall. After one of my videos (a shop tour) I got interest in the GN and started shooting a VLOG of the progress. I've got a few vids in the books now, and I figured I would share here.

and the shop tour that started it all:

Anyhow, let me know what you guys think so far... any suggestions or feedback is cool. Subscribers are appreciated!

You probably figured it out by now, but in case you haven't..... You needed to install the fuel hard lines to the front of the block BEFORE the accessory bracket was mounted up.

Fantastic videos though!!!

Thats correct, and I probably could have put new o-rings on them once they were in place, but I figured I'd wait (more to keep them clean than anything). When I installed them, I was sort of playing around to remember where the brackets and accessories mounted, and I have that figured out now. It definitely needs to get done before I plumb the powersteering for the hydroboost.

I do need to sort out where the tab on the fuel feed line bolts... I cant remember that one and it didnt show up in my pictures from pre-tear down. (oops) Can anyone help on that one?

You mean the mounting tab? It bolts to one of the bolts on the fuel pump block off plate. Inner one I believe.

hmmm, I distinctly remember struggling to get those bolts out after the cover was off... so I'm inclined to believe that mine was NOT in one of those 2 bolt holes. (I'm not saying that it WAS right, I'm just surprised)

I can't get a real good look at the clip on my car but it almost looks to be attached to the front bolt, with the clip holding the lines tight against the block off plate between the two bolts.

Oh, BTW, go with a good front mount, you wont regret it!!

Very cool!!! Maybe I missed it but how did the leak down test come out? I'm guessing the percentages were good?

yeah they were pretty good, I forget but its written in my notebook. I found 1 bad cylinder, but it was leaking out the exhaust valve. Post build leakdown was good in all 6 holes, I want to say 8% (+/-1%)

@PRSRIZD_V6 The two wire connector hooks to the A/C compressor just behind the pully on the outer side.
No... the green and black connectors DO NOT hook together!
The green connector is a tack lead
The black connector is a fuel pump prime

Attachments

• 1424354855919.jpg
    1424354855919.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 181
thanks, yeah I knew that connector didnt look right, I just got confused because it wasnt labeled... it wasnt labeled because they werent connected. I'm not sure why I forgot about the fuel pump primer lead, I even made a little spade and alligator clip harness to jump that off the back of the alternator for draining fuel. I need to tuck that tach lead back into the loom.

this week's update... I'll probably not be working on the car next weekend, but I should be publishing a video on the hydroboost install. The week after that should be pretty action packed since I expect the IC and exhaust to come in.

This week was sorta fun, I made a little modification to an old EGR block off plate that I made when I was a kid.

yeah they were pretty good, I forget but its written in my notebook. I found 1 bad cylinder, but it was leaking out the exhaust valve. Post build leakdown was good in all 6 holes, I want to say 8% (+/-1%)
Nice, sounds like a good piece.

Cool update. I'm wondering if that remote fuel pressure sender is going to see a lot of heat if you attach it to the EGR block off plate?

Cool update. I'm wondering if that remote fuel pressure sender is going to see a lot of heat if you attach it to the EGR block off plate?

I'll keep an eye on that, its definitely a fair question! I cant say that I've ever noticed that area to be particularly hotter than the rest of the intake manifold area... but I havent been looking for it either. Assuming there is relatively no flow, I'm guessing the air gap keep it from getting much hotter than the ambient aluminum in the manifold.