Vortec turbo motor GN

Lvnspeeed

I have been reading alot in this section man I am getting excited out doing this conversion. The metal fab wont be a problem for me. I have an 85 GN and as we all know if I want to make it run any good numbers at the track I will have to do a motor,wiring harness, and ecu swap anyway so.......:D
Here is what I am thinking:

4.8 or 5.3 vortec motor
Will I need to relace the intake manafold due to it being plastic under boost?
4l80e or 4l60e
Single Turbo (Not sure on the size any suggestions)
upgraded injectors (Not sure on the size any suggestions)
Turbo headers (anyone make any if not I can fab something or hack up something)
new driveshaft
fab a trans cross member
considering an IC

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

yea 4l80e for sure but I read the manafolds wont work backwards but I am going to try it anyways.

Sounds like a cool project. It can be very low buck too if you do your homework.

Thats what I am hopeing for. I found a 5.3 motor complete ecu wiring harness with a 4l60E locally for $1500 even includes the drive shaft. it has 62,000 miles on it. I am going to pick it up hopefully this weekend

Good deal! If I could sell the TTA this is exactly the same new project i want to take up.

BTW a S400 turbo fits the cheap bill and should run well with that combo. EBAY front mount IC would also work. Of course you gonna have to make sure that the ECU programing is dead on to help it live.

Speaking of programming the ECU what is it going to take to reprogram the stock ECU from the 4.8 vortec motor?

very interested in this project:biggrin: please post up plenty of pics when you get started:biggrin:

Iread that ford mustang shorty headders flipped foward are the hot ticket . Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there anything wrong with mild steel instead of a stainless steel I can weld mild steel better:biggrin:

Iread that ford mustang shorty headders flipped foward are the hot ticket . Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there anything wrong with mild steel instead of a stainless steel I can weld mild steel better:biggrin:

Don't quote me on this, but from what I remember reading, the port spacing is dead on with an ls1, you just need to chop them off and use flanges that are suited for the shape of the ls1 exhaust port...something to that effect anyway.

Went today and put a deposit on a 4.8 motor complete drop out with a 4l60e trans. They still need to get it out of the truck motor has 22956 miles on it. They are even going to throw in the gas pedel. I guess my lazy ass needs 2 get out in the garage and get the old motor and trans out of there.

motor is out :D FOR SALE
tranny is out:D FOR SALE
OH yea the so called exhaust is on its way to the junkyard

IF ANYONE NEEDS ANYTHING OFF THIS CAR THAT I AM NOT USING PM ME

Enjoy the pictures

Attachments

• gn2.jpg
    gn2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,055
  • gn motor.jpg
    gn motor.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 4,009
  • junk .jpg
    junk .jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,805
You should really try to get a 5.3 like you stated above. Ive never seen the small motor in one of these projects. If you do decide to use the small motor , I would not use the S400, maybe a MP70 turb would be better suited for a street car. And its cheap.

There are several laptop based tuners out there.. HP Tuner is one of them.

I like the sound of cheep :biggrin:

I am looking for something to tune the stock ECU/PCM from the truck. or do I need to mess with it? I plan on upgrading the injectors 60's or bigger.

Yes you will need to mess withit. Its a NA motor and if not tuned for boost and the bigger injectors it will spit the rods out.