Waking a sleeping giant

Ed Black

I just purchased a 87 GN, it has not been run in a few years. It was running when it was put away. What is the best way to go about getting it going again? my plan is to crank it over without the fuse in for the fuel pump to make sure it has oil pressure. And then put the fuse in and cross my fingers.

What else can I do to ensure no damage?

Pull all plugs and replace with new ones, put a little oil in each cylinder to help lube the cyl walls.

Drain all the old gas...

If the car has been inside, get some oil pressure and fire it off.

BW

Pull all plugs and replace with new ones, put a little oil in each cylinder to help lube the cyl walls.

Drain all the old gas...

If the car has been inside, get some oil pressure and fire it off.

BW

Thanks! the car has been inside for the while time.

What is the "latest and greatest" plugs to use R44ts or something else?

what oil should I use to lube the cylinders?

Thanks! the car has been inside for the while time.

What is the "latest and greatest" plugs to use R44ts or something else?

what oil should I use to lube the cylinders?

It depends on your setup. My cars are all very quick and are moddified. I run NGK UR5 plugs with a tighter gap for higher boost levels of 24 psi and more(with supporting mods)

If you just want to swap plugs, ac delco cr43ts is what i used to run, the 44s are a stock plug... Most likely the cyl walls are fine since your car has sat inside.

The orange wire by the battery is the ECM connection, unplug that and the engine will not fire up. It is OK to crank the engine over with the orange wire unplugged.

If its only been a few years... i would crank it over with the orange wire to get oil pressure. Check the oil, if it smells like gas, change the engine oil and filter, repeat the process of getting oil pressure again.

BW

Spring cleaning..

You might do a search for "spring cleaning"..there is a good list of things to do on the 'other' board. At the very least I would: 1.Drain the fuel 2.Replace the fuel filter 3.Change the oil and filter 4.Pull the cam sensor and prime the oil pump 5. Check the air filter 6.Set the IAC and TPS 7.Purchase and install a Scanmaster if there isn't one already 8.Change the trans fluid and filter-once it's running, you're gonna want to drive it! 9.Check and/or change the brake fluid 10.Be prepared for leaks- I started mine after several years of indoor storage and the waterpump started to drip. You might drain the radiator and refill as well...Hope this helps. Enjoy your new toy! Let us know how the startup goes...- Steve

You might do a search for "spring cleaning"..there is a good list of things to do on the 'other' board. At the very least I would: 1.Drain the fuel 2.Replace the fuel filter 3.Change the oil and filter 4.Pull the cam sensor and prime the oil pump 5. Check the air filter 6.Set the IAC and TPS 7.Purchase and install a Scanmaster if there isn't one already 8.Change the trans fluid and filter-once it's running, you're gonna want to drive it! 9.Check and/or change the brake fluid 10.Be prepared for leaks- I started mine after several years of indoor storage and the waterpump started to drip. You might drain the radiator and refill as well...Hope this helps. Enjoy your new toy! Let us know how the startup goes...- Steve

It is damn cold up here in NY, I have already drained the gas and put fresh gas in. I just want to make sure it is gonna fire before I move it from it's present location to my house. As far as I can see it is completely stock(down pipe, no adj regulator, or intercooler mods) which is the main reason why I bought it. It has been sitting in my friends garage(last owner) for a few years, and I just want to hear it run before I trailer it out of there.

I have a little experience with these cars, I had an 85 T-Type, and I can't wait to this one on the road. However I am going to take my time with this one, I don't want to mess anything up and I hope to put this car back to "great" condition.

Thanks all for your help, I will be going tonite to play with it a little more and I will keep you posted.

Update:

Went today to check It out again. Fuel pump is not running, but I kind of expected that. I did Crank it over for about 20 seconds. It turned over nice, but with an audible squeak, so I stopped cranking it. This car has been sitting for quite a while, looks like over 10 years judging by the last time it was registered. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 255
  • trubo.jpg
    trubo.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 249
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 258
  • left rear.jpg
    left rear.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 271
  • right front.jpg
    right front.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 252
I sure hope you didn't pay much for that project.

Looks like you will be finding rust on things you didn't know could rust.

I'd pull the rear cover and look at the gears too. Anything not submerged in oil will probably be rusty.

Looks like it's in an unheated, damp garage... which isn't much better than being left outside... since the temp fluctuations create condensation, making everything made of metal to sweat and rust. Everything not made of metal gets mold on it.

I was just suprised by her, been awhile since I've seen one in her condition. She will need lots of TLC for sure. Do you have any long term goals with your new GN?

long term goals: driving it.

Short term goals: winning the lottery.

realistic goals: fix major issues and go slow from there.

When you bought this car did it have a Possum under the hood by the a/c box? :biggrin: Just wondering there was a car for sale while back on the board that looked this same way. Anyway welcome to the rust club.:smile:

Hey dont be discouraged my car sat out in a driveway before i got it for a few years...it had moss growin on the door seals and window moldings it had black nascar steelies the original wheels were rusting in a broken down shed and at least he had a box of open baking soda on the passenger which helped to soak up the moisture...but youd be suprised it will shape up after gettin it started and washing it a few times taking a brillo pad to the wheels and some never dull...and lets not forget castrol super clean...

...but youd be suprised it will shape up after gettin it started and washing it a few times taking a brillo pad to the wheels and some never dull...and lets not forget castrol super clean...

Be carefull using steel wool / brillo on the chrome wheels. It will scratch if you are not carefull. Don't ask how I know this. ;)