Walbro e-85 pump?

Anyone know if they are making a fuel pump for e85?

As far as I know maybe next year. As long as you don't run a plastic tank and your metal tank is well grounded the regular pumps will last a long time. I was in touch with a Walbro test engineer last year and he said all the failures from E-85 was from plastic tank testing. There are alot of people here and on the WRX forums still going strong with regular pumps and metal tanks.

As far as I know maybe next year. As long as you don't run a plastic tank and your metal tank is well grounded the regular pumps will last a long time. I was in touch with a Walbro test engineer last year and he said all the failures from E-85 was from plastic tank testing. There are alot of people here and on the WRX forums still going strong with regular pumps and metal tanks.

I dont think any of the failures are the cause of plastic tanks.:confused: that just dont make any sence. I been running a double pumper walbros for a year with no problems.:)

I dont think any of the failures are the cause of plastic tanks.:confused: that just dont make any sence. I been running a double pumper walbros for a year with no problems.:)

Give us more info, what kind of tank are you using?? Are you running only E-85??

straight e85 with stock tank.

Ok well the stock tank is metal :biggrin:

The short story was that Walbro was testing E-85 in there lab with standard pumps and they were failing rather quickly. However people like myself, some others on the WRX forums clocked over 20 30 and 40,000 miles with standard pumps and they were still going strong. The difference was that the lab was using plastic tanks that were not grounded. Most old cars like ours have the old metal tanks and metal pump hangers which allows for the whole contents of the tank to be grounded as well. The Walbro engineers decided this had to be the determining factor as to why the pumps were lasting so long.

Make no mistake about it though, E-85 will eat the copper windings in the standard gas pump. I have always been in the camp that believes that garage queen cars will suffer more from this than a car driven everyday, simply because of the moisture issue.

Walbro was supposed to come out with an E-85 pump this quarter but I have not heard anything.

Hope this helps clear things up. :)

Ok well the stock tank is metal :biggrin:

The short story was that Walbro was testing E-85 in there lab with standard pumps and they were failing rather quickly. However people like myself, some others on the WRX forums clocked over 20 30 and 40,000 miles with standard pumps and they were still going strong. The difference was that the lab was using plastic tanks that were not grounded. Most old cars like ours have the old metal tanks and metal pump hangers which allows for the whole contents of the tank to be grounded as well. The Walbro engineers decided this had to be the determining factor as to why the pumps were lasting so long.

Make no mistake about it though, E-85 will eat the copper windings in the standard gas pump. I have always been in the camp that believes that garage queen cars will suffer more from this than a car driven everyday, simply because of the moisture issue.

Walbro was supposed to come out with an E-85 pump this quarter but I have not heard anything.

Hope this helps clear things up. :)

E85 has no effect on fuel pumps period. And has been proven NOT to eat copper windings. Walbro just wants you to buy another pump. YouTube - E85 Ethanol Does not harm Non-FlexFueled Engines

Mygn, where do you find your info on the internet since you obviously haven't talked to anyone at Aeromotive or Magnafuel.

Look up the word Lubricity and if E85 has more or less of it.

Will that alone harm a fuel pump?

Now consider that factory cars/trucks don't run fuel pressures up to 70psi. I wonder if that'll cause even more pump stress for FI cars running E85?

Black Monte, Magnafuel is probably your best bet considering pump volume, pressure and reliability.

Or run a known strong, reliable pump and expect to lose some lifespan due to my comments above in a FI car. I have a Magnafuel 500 in the GTO and have plans to run my intank Denso 280 with an external Bosch 044 in the future for my GN on E85.

E85 has no effect on fuel pumps period. And has been proven NOT to eat copper windings. Walbro just wants you to buy another pump.

Well I will I agree that damage if any will be minimal .As far as your comment about Walbro wanting me and others to buy another pump I have to point to the fact that the Walbro engineer I was dealing with was offering 2 new pumps ( free of charge ) for any 1 old pump ( Walbro, Denso, others ) that was running E-85 so they could disassemble the pumps and look at them.

Wow I have to say thats one hell of a way to get people to buy new pumps when you give them 2 for free. :rolleyes: Progressive marketing is it ?? :redface:

I know I made it clear in my previous post that I was quoting the SHORT story and of course you make assumuptions based on not knowing all the facts...LOL :rolleyes:

BlackMonte - PM me if you want more info. I'm done with this thread. :D

Well I will I agree that damage if any will be minimal .As far as your comment about Walbro wanting me and others to buy another pump I have to point to the fact that the Walbro engineer I was dealing with was offering 2 new pumps ( free of charge ) for any 1 old pump ( Walbro, Denso, others ) that was running E-85 so they could disassemble the pumps and look at them.

Any chance you could pass on the information on fuel pump exchange? I'd gladly sacrifice my current fuel pump for research and development (and for the free pumps).

i can use that infor as well please. thinking about e85 but if its anything like meth, it will eat up the pumps (not sure what, rubber parts, copper???). one big selling point used on the alky control kit and there pumo, so i would love more info

from my understanding the pumps are fine unless the e85 come in contact with moisture, then it changes the chemical balance and causes corrosion which can cause the pumps to lock up.
btw my supra has a plastic tank and ive been running e85 with dual walbros for almost a year now, with no issues so far