Walbro Fuel Pump Update

Mike Licht

I was here first
As you know I have been in contact with Walbro High Performance regarding the failure of some fuel pumps. Thanks to the cooperation of the Turbo Buick community using the pumps you sent in Walbro was able to identify a problem with some of the F2000169 fuel pumps. By taking the pumps apart and putting each part on the assembly line to be installed in new pumps (a very time consuming process) it was determined that a small plastic plug inside the pump near the inlet can come loose in certain conditions causing an internal leak and a loss of pressure. Without your help finding this problem would not have been possible. It does not affect all F2000169 pumps or any other part numbers. It is due to the inlet design of this pump and caused by a slightly out of spec part from a US supplier. Walbro has agreed to exchange all F2000169 pumps working or not to remedy this problem. They have asked me to extend their apology and thanks for the support through the years. They fully intend to make good on these pumps. The offending part is going through a priority redesign right now and I am working with the performance engineer to come up with a suitable solution we can apply right away so we do not have to wait until that is done. In the next few days we should have a plan in place and I will post a method so you can send these pumps and we can get them exchanged. So far I have received 16 pumps (not very many) and I have records of who sent them in they will be first to get new units. Once again this ONLY applies to the F2000169, no problems have been found with other units. Both Walbro and I regret any inconvenience this has caused and will get the pumps replaced as quickly as possible. Walbro is proud to be the most cost effective (while still being one of the best) US MADE high performace in tank fuel pump solutions available.

Mike Licht

Thanks Mike

Mike,
Thanks for taking the initative and all your efforts to step up and help figure out a solution. Hat's off to Walbro also for standing behind their product. If there's an achilles heel to the buick, its the fuel pump as there simply isn't a viable drop in and go alternative. Peace of mind in a quality fuel pump really is priceless.

just another reason why the good vendors, are the GOOD vendors. thanks for helping out our community and going the extra mile:cool:

Your noble efforts are greatly appreciated in this community thank you.

Mike, you are Top Shelf !!!

just another reason why the good vendors, are the GOOD vendors. thanks for helping out our community and going the extra mile

X 100,000,000:) :D Thanx Mike

Mike
I am assuming this will be handled as a recall of that particular serial number, and there will be a receiving address posted. Replacement will be honoured regardless of where it was purchased. Would I be correct in that thinking?

Thank you for all your invested time on this issue Mike.
Question, I have a GSS340 pump is this a F2000169? Where should this # be? Is it supposed to be stamped into the body of the pump. Or is this a FT part #? Mine is from Poston's, and nowhere does it have that number on it. Thanks

Thanks for all your time on this Mike, I'm kind of surprised it got solved this quickly, great job on both ends. ;)

cool mike , thanks for being so diligent on this matter as ive been hesitant to install any pumps for the past few months .
I have one of your F2000169s that i got from you through ebay in my 87 that ill be sending in soon

Thank you for all your invested time on this issue Mike.
Question, I have a GSS340 pump is this a F2000169? Where should this # be? Is it supposed to be stamped into the body of the pump. Or is this a FT part #? Mine is from Poston's, and nowhere does it have that number on it. Thanks

yes it is stamped on the body .. :cool:

BIG thumbs up for Mike following this threw !!!! :cool:

Mike you rule! I was in the middle of a huge headache until I read this. I was curious could the problem you found in the pumps be at all related to my factory harness connector melting?? When I pulled the pump out after the problems started I noticed the plastic connector that connects the pump to the factory pump wiring was melted and deformed on the ground side??

OMG! This is incredible, and the fact that Mike took the bull by the horns is not one bit surprising.

Mike, the community thanks you!!!

Thanks Mike!

FYI I spoke with Mike just the other day about this... He promised some type of solution asap.. so I'm happy he's pull through for us.