Walmart battery

GNRick

Retired member
Bought a Walmart battery for $87 when my Interstate came up with a dead cell after 4 years into a 7 year battery. So I tested each cell of the Walmart battery with my battery hydrometer. Each cell tests at the high end of the "fair" section. 1.25 on the scale if that means anything to you guys. This battery has a 3 year exchange period if it fails, then 2 years gets prorated. Went to Advance and tested one of their batteries sitting on the shelf. Three cells tested 1.30 on the scale which is top of the "good" section. Tester says this is the best that it can be. Didn't bother to test the other 3 cells. Went back to Walmart and they won't exchange the battery. The battery starts my car great. I even checked it by turning on the brights (key on engine off) and checking the voltage drop (down to 12.2 volts) then came back up after 120 seconds to 12.6 volts. Both the Walmart battery and Advance are made by Johnson Controls. I also checked my 5 year old Walmart battery in my 1982 280zx turbo and it also tested 1.25 in all cells just like my brand new battery. I will call Johnson Controls Monday and see what they say. I just don't think my Walmart battery will last past the warranty period and if it does then the prorated amount will be minimal. Oh I also tested the battery in my friend's 2013 Ford Focus with 10k miles on it. All cells tested at 1.30 (top of the range). What do you guys think? This is the tester I used http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Cycle-Ba...916&sr=8-9&keywords=battery+tester+hydrometer

Last edited:
I've had some great luck with Interstate's remanufactured batteries and even O'rielly's house brand.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Walmart's batteries are just as good as any as far as the battery itself goes. You are just as likely to get one that will last until the latter half of the prorate period as you are from any of the automotive stores. The life of the battery is determined as much by how it is used and maintained as it is by the manufacturer brand name stamped on it. In fact most of the auto batteries in the country are made by one of about three manufacturers. The labels are changed to suit the retailer's needs. Any battery is subject to sudden failure by either a plate shifting or a connecting strap breaking. All batteries will eventually fail by sulfating and electrolyte degradation. When choosing a battery the free replacement warranty should be one of the weighing factors (of course along with proper fit and amp requirements). You can get a two year free battery that last just as long as a three year battery but your chance is better with the three year because they are usually a little better constructed and have a better amp and reserve rating. When you are talking three year to three year warranties then the field is pretty equal. Of course this is just my opinion but if it helps, I've sold and installed batteries for over fifteen years with Big-A and Advance and I currently have Walmart batteries in four of my six cars.:)

I understand what you're saying but I just think if I want to increase the odds of this battery living a long life it needs to start with a strong charge (high specific gravity). But I could be wrong.

Have you checked the fluid level yet Rick? If it's low add some distilled water, charge it, and then re-test it.

Yes I added water from my r.o. filter. Didn't help. Called Walmart customer service who called the local walmart. They gave me a refund. Then bought a new battery at Advance.

I only use the walmart batteries. Never had any issues with pro-rating. I run them in 5 of my cars.
Reason I use walmart is that if there should ever be a failure or issue, I can ALWAYS find a walmart. It's not always as easy to find one of the parts stores.

Yes I considered that. A friend recommended Delco batteries. They are permanently sealed and have a 42 month free replacement warranty. Sounds good but might be hard to find a Delco dealer when I need one. There are a lot of Advance stores but probably more Walmarts and they are open later too. So in the end I went with Advance, for better or for worse. I have Kirban's battery jumper which works good, too.