WANT TO RUN MID TO HIGH 9s

blackv6

how much power would it take to run mid to high 9s in full wieght gn. Im slowly putting together ta block but wondering would a girdled 109 do the trick for a while , thought id get some info from some of the pros in here

Not a pro but will offer you some advice. I would sell everthing you've got so far(car too), then go to the first three Buick events and buy a car you've seen run. That will be the cheapest way to do it. Saves you the trial and error money which can be that same price you can purchase the car for. Expect to spend between $20,000-$30,000 turn key.

I'm with jason above! Way cheaper.

My car is 3650 with me in it. I would do a ta or stage 2 for 9's if you plan on running it more than 100 times a summer. The 109 can do it but is going to require more maintenance. I take mine apart every two years or so to replace bearings and rings and inspect everything. But I also beat the hell out of it 250 passes last year alone, only the last 10 or so were 9 second passes). My engine was in my old car and did many 9 sec passes. Only damage was a cracked main one year but everything else survived.

i am no pro, but, a forged crank/rods, some JE or equivalent pistons, steel main caps, big turbo, ptc converter, roller cam, champion heads, good flowing front mount intercooler, well built 2004r or th400, fat sticky tires and a good suspension, and a great tune, it COULD be done in the mid to high 20's psi in the low 20* range of timing on pump gas/alky.

question was how much power

for 3700lb (some guys are heavier)

9.99 will require 730hp

9.50 will need 850hp

Hard to say power level IMO because all dynos seem to give different numbers.

I think it easier to say "a 7168 Turbo at xx amount of boost with heads that flow xxx with 1.xx 60' at 3xxxlbs should get you in the 9's with xx degrees of timing and a xx a/f".
If you can make the same power with a stock short block as a similar sizes built long block. Just matters how many times you want to do it.

Also, I wouldn't do pump and alky unless you are running a bigger than needed Turbo and lower boost to get your number. But that is my opinion.

i know a guy with very MINIMAL engine work on stock longblock heads ofcourse they have been touched up arp's etc..but even still has stock cam...67 or a 71 mm turbo im not 100% sure.. i know its a Journal Bearing.. just that the car is very light something like 3k-3200# with driver..not 100% sure on weight..dont want to lie weight is a big factor in et's.. car has very good suspension roll bar...with about 25-27psi a good tune on e85 Built Tranny with a Transbrake good converter and sticky tires..ive seen him run mid 10's @ over 120mph.. with a car he paid 8k for and he did all of his work.. poured in about 4500 in upgrades.. it runs real nice open dump a bit loud tho..he isnt a member on here but his car is quick im going to try and find 1 of his 1/8th mile runs on youtube i think his best time was like a 10;09 with some juice @ PBIR he hasnt ran 9's yet but im sure there is a 9 sec run there somewhere 10.09 is pretty close to 9.99

never have verified but some of my buddys told me hood trunk bumpers were fiberglass no ac etc.. its a light car

Talk to.someone like Cal Hartline or someone else that consistently puts up the numbers.

Yes, you would way ahead of the game buying a car that's all ready setup and going 9s than building from scratch. Most people start lightly moddiing and start running faster and faster. 11s seems to be the point where people stop b/c of a bar needed at 11.5. It's much more money to go 10s and then cube that to go 9s. Sure you will hear plenty of stories of guys with "minimal" mods and such but you still have to meet the safety rules and that alone is fairly expensive. You don't hear of those cars lasting long either. Don't count on doing it easy with a full weight car either.

some good info some not just some ideas i was kickn around. I do have fiber glass hood and bumpers trunk also. not so sure about how much of the factory I will keep in the car. I know i dont want to buy anyone elses car i would rather build my own. I have seen a 109 block gn with a/c run 9.10s before not sure what his wieght was. With the t/a block im looking to make 1000hp with it the 109 looking to make about 700 if i can get away with it.

oh yeah car wont be a track only car. Was really wanting to know what amount of power it will reaquire to ge t the car into that zone that way i know what to focus on

10.09 is pretty close to 9.99
Its close but so far when you are trying to run the number with a tired shortblock. I failed to run 9's last summer with one. The power was there. Using it all at the right time didnt happen.

A reliable 9.50 engine that will last hundreds of passes on proper tune will cost $15k. Building a car that can tolerate that hit will cost another $20k. Looks like $35k or so to reliably run the number pass after pass.

its not going to see much track time. maybe 2-3 times a year. Mainly this car will be street driven it wont be a dedicated track car if it was it wouldnt be a need to keep it full wieght would it. 20k u must be talking the car and supporting mods, trans, fuel systems etc.

its not going to see much track time. maybe 2-3 times a year. Mainly this car will be street driven it wont be a dedicated track car if it was it wouldnt be a need to keep it full wieght would it. 20k u must be talking the car and supporting mods, trans, fuel systems etc.