Washing the newly painted car and trying to keep it looking that way

Boston GN

What do you guys use to wash the car? Sponge, boars hair brush, or something else?

Drying: micro fiber towels, 100% cotton towels, shamois, or something else?

Waxing/Polishing: Do you use buffers or do it by hand? Either way, What do you use to apply it and what do you use to take it off? Whether it be what type of pads on the buffer or whatever you use if you do it by hand.

My car will be coming back to me soon with a very high dollar paint job. I want to keep it that way and want to know if my current ways of detailing have been replaced with better ways. Can't have swirls on a black car!!!

TIA

#1 Auto Appearance Forum

Listen, Ask Questions and Learn from the very best Auto Appearance Professionals at: www.autopia-carcare.com

For the best equpment & supplies, along with tutorials, check out: http://www.properautocare.com/

2 great reference links!

It's a whole new world out there, and very much improved!

HTH & Enjoy! :)

Get a silicone squeegee from California duster to dry off the car. About $20 from Pep Boys.;)

Classic car care This site has a lot of great information that you can print and reference. All the products he recommends are top line. I personally like Meguiars a lot. You might want to check with your painter. Most Clears have a cure time, before waxing can even be started. Better safe then sorry. To make sure you aren't harming your new finish you might just want to use a swirl remover polish, such as #9 meguiars on your nice new finish. I personal like a random orbital and use diaper applicators from nicsand to apply, take off the wax with either viva paper towel or diaper towels also by nicsand. These don't scratch or mare your finish. (from my own personal results) the other thing I then do is use a nice yellow foam applicator just to go over the finish with the random orbital. This gives a nice high gloss look to the black finish and doesn't harm the finish. Just make sure you have allowed the finish to reach it's cure time before doing this. I am in the process of repainting myself, might not be high dollar but it's turning out really nice. Had it in day light this past weekend and it shines real nice. Looking forward to the upcoming season...
Take care,
:D

okboo sugested the california squegee and i'll have to agree, they don't completely dry the car, but there the best thing sence sliced br, er a towel. the only complaint i have is i keep loosing mine....so buy 2

I make sure I use a clean chanille mitt or chanille covered sponge. I clean the mitt after washing the car to ensure nothing that can scratch the paint is trapped in the fibers. Cheap and effective.

griots...

griotsgarage.com sells many high quality auto-care supplies too.. i love their Vinyl and Rubber dressing ... won't deteriorate rubber like all the others do...

Micro fiber towels are the best for drying and they are also pretty good for washing, though a sheepskin wash mitt works well too. Make sure to use one for the underside and another for the upper areas. Also have one bucket for washing and one for rinsing.

As for polishing most people recommend the Porter Cable line of random orbital buffers. The best deal I found on them was from www.coastaltool.com. Right now you can get the 7424 model for 125 plus they include the 6" counterweight and the velcro backing pad. Awesome deal on that.

I've found that Griots Garage is pretty high priced overall. They have some decent looking stuff, but most of it you can find elsewhere for less, sometimes significantly less as in the case of the Porter Cable buffer (their's is no different from anybody elses despite what they say).

For 3M products I'd recommend their online store which you can find at 3M.com. They charge the same or less than most other online retailers and they ship for free. Their Swirl Mark Remover and Imperial Hand Glaze as well as the Finesse It 2 rubbing compound are all very good.