Wastegate and boost control selection

turbodave231

I'd like to know what you guys are using for a wastegate and a wastegate control on a single turbo S2 headed setup. I plan on a t-76 to go on ATR headers.

Turbonetics Racegate? HKS? ATR?
Bleeder valve, boost controller?

I'd like to hear any problems you have run into with any of the gates I mentioned above too!

Any help appreciated.

FWIW I plan to use a Tial wastegate and an Innovative boost controller on my car.

We are using dual Racegates on Scott's twin car with an Innovative boost controller and it works great. The Innovative boost controller has some real neat gimmicks you can use if you put some thought into how to set it up. You can control launch boost, control boost in every gear and even output the boost levels to a Racepack data logger.

It's been great on his car. It does control the boost both on the starting line and going down the track. I've seen a lot of guys bitching about them but ours has been perfect.

Innovative also makes a nice billet wastegate. Or atleast they used to. Kinda pricy though. ERIC.

Another less pricey option for launch boost control is Conley's setup. I'm using it. Basically a second boost bleeder and an electric solenoid. When power is applied to the solenoid boost is taken from one controller, the low boost controller. When power is not applied you take boost from the second controller, the high boost controller. You hook the solenoid?s power lead to either your brake light for foot brake racers or to the trans brake for T-Brake racers. I use it and it works great, couple of other people too.

innovative stuff

i have the hook up on innovative stuff anyone needs anything let me know ill make it worth your while

shawn

Does Innovative have a website. I would like to change to a external on the below combo.

I had a problem with the ATR gate. I couldn't get no more than 20lbs of boost out of it no matter what I did. I changed to the standard HKS gate and problem solved. 25lbs rock steady. (and more if I want it...)

I'm still just using the $20 compressor knob for boost control. Works perfectly.

Rob,

A couple questions:

What gates bolt up to ATR single turbo S2 headers?

To change to the HKS gate did you have to change the flanges on the header and downpipe? Or was is a bolt-on replacement?

Dave

Originally posted by Rob Raymer
I had a problem with the ATR gate. I couldn't get no more than 20lbs of boost out of it no matter what I did. I changed to the standard HKS gate and problem solved. 25lbs rock steady. (and more if I want it...)

I'm still just using the $20 compressor knob for boost control. Works perfectly.
My plastic compressor knobs work fine too and I've got 2 of them..... :D

If you have the wrong spring in your wastegate, then the header pressure is going to push it open and limit your maximum boosht, no matter what boosht controller you have.

Originally posted by RealFastV6
If you have the wrong spring in your wastegate, then the header pressure is going to push it open and limit your maximum boosht, no matter what boosht controller you have.
True. I didn't know there were that many different springs available. I knew you could get a tighter one but are there a lot of different springs available for different applications? I think the tighter spring I hear people talking about gives a minimum boost of like 18 psi? My gate seems to give a minimum of 8 psi but that was before I adjusted it, now the minimum seems to be about 12 psi. With the 8 psi low setting I had no probelm getting 23 psi, never tried any higher. I adjusted it at Bristol when I could not get boost above 20 psi, later found it was exhaust leaks...:mad:

You do have some control over this using the set screw on the top of the gate, right? Naturally if the spring is too soft no amount of tightening is going to get you the desired boost....

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
True. I didn't know there were that many different springs available. I knew you could get a tighter one but are there a lot of different springs available for different applications? I think the tighter spring I hear people talking about gives a minimum boost of like 18 psi? My gate seems to give a minimum of 8 psi but that was before I adjusted it, now the minimum seems to be about 12 psi. With the 8 psi low setting I had no probelm getting 23 psi, never tried any higher. I adjusted it at Bristol when I could not get boost above 20 psi, later found it was exhaust leaks...:mad:

You do have some control over this using the set screw on the top of the gate, right? Naturally if the spring is too soft no amount of tightening is going to get you the desired boost....

For a racegate, the springs are 3-5 green, 5-7 blue, 7-9 silver and 9-13 black.

I think i've heard of people putting in more then one spring also, but dont quote me on that.

Originally posted by RealFastV6
For a racegate, the springs are 3-5 green, 5-7 blue, 7-9 silver and 9-13 black.

I think i've heard of people putting in more then one spring also, but dont quote me on that.
Do you know if the numbers refer to anything like psi of spring tension?

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
Do you know if the numbers refer to anything like psi of spring tension?

Those numbers are the PSI, sorry, probably shoulda said that.

There used to be a dual spring setup for the Turbonetics gates.

Now they just use the manual boost controller to increase PSI over the spring rate.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by zturbo
Two Progates....

Boost controller

Gonna go in there :D

I choose the Innovative stuff cause in the long run it isnt that pricy compared to the nice HKS stuff and is very nice looking to boot. I would deal with them again stuff came as promised and looks wicked can't wait to see hanging off the front of my car.

Steven
Hey Steve,

There's something wrong with your motor, it's got two too many cylinders?.. :D

Just kidding, car looks awesome!

I know I took it into the shop and they had a blue light special and said if i bought the complete set of 8 pistons They would throw in the extra 2 rods for free.

Steven

Thanks for the compliment

Originally posted by zturbo
I know I took it into the shop and they had a blue light special and said if i bought the complete set of 8 pistons They would throw in the extra 2 rods for free.

Steven

Thanks for the compliment
Looks like they threw in an extra turbo too! What size are they anyway? Innovative turbo's?