Wastegate flapper in ported stock elbow

Mark E

I am looking at upgrading to a ta-49 turbo. Many have ported waste gate holes and I am wondering what size flapper I can go up to in a ported stock exhaust elbow?
Also are there differences between the ta-49's?

yes there are differences....

TA-49's for the street are best with an A/R of .63. John Craig of Limit Engineering builds these and are sold by him or through Kirban.

TA-49's for the track used a larger turbine wheel and had an A/R of .82. great for top end rpm on the track but not the best for on the street. Precision Turbo and Engine sold these.

if getting a used or rebuilt one, be sure to confirm above.

Bore wastegate hole to 0.905 in to 0.945 in.

if using the stock elbow with integral flapper, before the wastegate hole is enlarged, check the alignment of that puck with the wastegate hole. it is not uncommon to find the center of the puck is not aligned with the center of the hole. from the factory, this is not a big deal since the puck is oversized. but when enlarging the hole, don't just drill a larger hole. the face of the puck should have something sticky like RTV applied to it then assemble the elbow and turbine section and work the wastegate to transfer the RTV so as to confirm where the puck overlays the hole. It is not uncommon to have to use an end mill in a vertical milling machine or good drill press to re-center the enlarged hole. The factory puck does not need to be resized or replaced if enlarging to the above size range.

If using a 3 in downpipe like a terry houston or rjc racing, puck and elbow are integral to the downpipe. puck may be slightly larger but the wastegate hole sizes noted above are the recommended range for the TA-49 like upgrades.