We4 ???

charleslong

Hi WE4,
I have read and did searches, trying to find out what is wrong with my car, and i found nothing. Do you think you can help me? I even read this sticky Sticky: ATTENTION!!!! NEW VERSION!! Strengthening The 2004r .

but this is my thread if you think you can help
Do i need a new transmission? charleslong

Better give a detailed description of what is going on with your trans, sounds, behavior, at what speed, gear, etc. That will give them the info they need to give you a good answer ;) .

Just say im driving at say 20mph or from a dead stop. If i press the pedal to the floor, the car will accelerate hard, and you know how the car is suppose to shift hard or however you have your transmission set up. My car will redline instead, and act like it dont want to shift, so i will have to get off of it and it will shift. But it did not use to be like this, b/c when i first got the car, the car would spin the tires going into 2nd gear. This is the only problem i am having with the transmission. It shifts normal between the other gears. Im almost sure the transmission is stock, besides the stall tc which is i believe 3000rpm.

Charles, I only know a few basics about the trans. With the info you gave, WE4 or others will be able to give you some sort of answer. I don't know how familiar you are with the car, how long you have owned it, so this info may be redundant. You said you have searched on this board so try this info on www.gnttype.org -- http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transpage.html .
Especially the TV adjustment on that page. You can also do mailing list archive seaches, many years of info, on that site also:http://www.gnttype.org/archives/search.html
Seach by Message keywords for the best relative info.

I dont think you need a trans. I would ck a couple of things. First, drop pan and service. Pull govenor and make sure spring is seated correctly and weight is not bent. Second how many miles? have you cked valve spring pressure. Yes, valve springs will do this too. Only other thing I can think of is tv limit sticking or hanging. Why, I do not know. When it does shift when you lift , is it a good quick firm shift?

I had a similar problem years back. It turned out that tribal knowledge said to overfill the tranny by one quart of tranny fluid. Under hard acceleration the fluid would rush to the back of the pan and starve the pickup of fluid (GM's intelligence put the pickup at the front of the pan). I added one quart above full, and never had the problem again.

Derrick

I also had the same problem with my trans. But the only thing is I don't know if was a brf trans b/c I bought it from a friend and I did not have trans cooler. Well eventually while at the track i popped the trans and now will be going Jimmys in Mundelein this week.