Weird binding in the column... Wont go into drive!

rking

Well I just got this car together, it was a roller I purchased and an engine that I had already built.

Anyhow, I have a weird binding in the column and was wondering what I should look for first...

This is the problem,

Key turns and starts right up in park, no weird binding, and linkage adjustment is right on.
With key on, I can only shift into reverse and neutral is kinda forced; this is with the car running or not.
With key in accessory, shifts all the way through the pattern with no problems.
From underneath the car there is no binding at all.
The key will only turn over completely from park, not in neutral...

So?? Where should I start. Something is obviously binding in the column, but what?? :confused: From my understanding the neutral safety switch is just a switch and wont cause binding... Is there some rod in the column that I need to check?? TIA

Hey Cory,
With the linkage unhooked did the tranny shift OK before the linkage was hooked up to it?

Hey Cory,
With the linkage unhooked did the tranny shift OK before the linkage was hooked up to it?

I just went outside and tried it with the linkage unhooked to see if I could at least move it around the shop, and it shifts perfectly. I can drive it, shift it, start it, no probs. So the binding is somewhere between the linkage and the key... With the linkage attached, the linkage itself doesnt feel to be in any bind, I can feel problem somewhere in the column, if that makes sense to you :confused: ???

Do you have a tilt wheel? Is in in the straight untillted orientation?

Reason I ask is.... some cars have some sort of aftermarket steering column security guard on them. The lower part of the column, just before it enters the dash has to rotate as the shifter is moved. If the column is tilted it some times binds against this extra gaurd and makes it VERY difficult to shift if if the column is either tilted up or down from it's normal position.

Do you have a tilt wheel? Is in in the straight untillted orientation?

Reason I ask is.... some cars have some sort of aftermarket steering column security guard on them. The lower part of the column, just before it enters the dash has to rotate as the shifter is moved. If the column is tilted it some times binds against this extra gaurd and makes it VERY difficult to shift if if the column is either tilted up or down from it's normal position.

Yeah Dave it does, but tilting it to different angles hasnt helped either...

I did a search earlier and couldnt find anyone that has really had this same problem, so I headed downstairs to an extra column that I have and the only moving part that I could see was one rod that comes from inside the column down to a white switch, which Im assuming is the neutral safety switch... Is there anyway that this is loose inside or some other problem??

I'd still persue the fact that the added security collar is your problem. Been there, done that.