Weird noise trans????

Instro84

USAF retired
Need help diagnosing this noise i heard when i got back form the gathering last Sat. It sounds like almost like a knocking fron the valvetrain i put a stethescope on it and it was pretty noticeable so i pulled the valvecovers and looked at everything and looked pretty normal. I rotated the engine with the started and all the valve moved the same amount. well my nest thought was maybe somthing on the bottom end so i figured drop the pan anc check it out. For grins i decided to disconnect converter and start it, no noise. trying to figure what in the trans would cause this only thing i could think is the pump. trans is about 6 mon old btw had it don by Len. any ideas? TIA
dale

hybrid85 said:
Need help diagnosing this noise i heard when i got back form the gathering last Sat. It sounds like almost like a knocking fron the valvetrain i put a stethescope on it and it was pretty noticeable so i pulled the valvecovers and looked at everything and looked pretty normal. I rotated the engine with the started and all the valve moved the same amount. well my nest thought was maybe somthing on the bottom end so i figured drop the pan anc check it out. For grins i decided to disconnect converter and start it, no noise. trying to figure what in the trans would cause this only thing i could think is the pump. trans is about 6 mon old btw had it don by Len. any ideas? TIA
dale
Did you carefully inspect the fywheel for any cracks & are the fywheel bolts tight ? Also make sure the convertor bolts aren't bottoming out & not tightening properly against the flwheel. Last but not least was Len sober when he built the unit. He keeps a bottle in his tool box you know LOL

no cracks in flywheel and bolts are tight not bottoming out. didnt see and marks on the converter or flywheel like they are contacting something either.

ok went out again in the cold and connected converter back to flywheel just to see if problen was still there. before i connectred i looked at flywheel for cracks per Lou didnt see and and th bolts went in fine.started car and noise is back. its definatly something in the trans its loudest near the front of it, almost sound like a rod knock but when i listen to engine without converter hooked up no noise idles smooth and revs like normnal. btw the car drives fine. the noise does quiet down a little in gear but its still there. i guess i'll call Len up in the am.

hybrid85 said:
ok went out again in the cold and connected converter back to flywheel just to see if problen was still there. before i connectred i looked at flywheel for cracks per Lou didnt see and and th bolts went in fine.started car and noise is back. its definatly something in the trans its loudest near the front of it, almost sound like a rod knock but when i listen to engine without converter hooked up no noise idles smooth and revs like normnal. btw the car drives fine. the noise does quiet down a little in gear but its still there. i guess i'll call Len up in the am.
If it's a milti disc convertor they are noisy.

found out what the noise was on my car today, the lower right side trans to engine bolts worked its way loose. Only think i can figure is i forgot to tourque it when i installed trans so i double checked them all and that was the only one. Thanks for the help Lou and thanks Len for the offer to come pick the car up and check it out.

hybrid85 said:
found out what the noise was on my car today, the lower right side trans to engine bolts worked its way loose. Only think i can figure is i forgot to tourque it when i installed trans so i double checked them all and that was the only one. Thanks for the help Lou and thanks Len for the offer to come pick the car up and check it out.
One loose bolt & the five others were tight? Are you sure that it wasn't the other way around? Five loose & one tight? Be honest now! What say you to this Len? Should we believe him LOL

i know, stumped me to, it was the one that held the dipstick. :) i found it when i way laying underneath the car with i running, just happened to grap the dp to pull myself further under and noise went away, so started looking for something loose. actully took a couple hrs to find. what i dont get is why it went away when i unbolted converter.