What are the advantages to coil-on-plug compare to distributor.

Chris, I will give you my opinion as I have personally used all 3 options.

My race car has a distributor with an MSD 7AL-2 and has worked great for years in a competition environment, and when I converted from 116 octane race fuel to e-85, it never missed a beat.

When I converted one of my street cars with an engine almost the same as the race car, an XFI, but TE-45A instead of a 70mm turbo, it would not reach 15 PSI?

Tried lots of stuff for months and finally installed a TR6 which absolutely cured the problem.

My experience with XIM when first tried it was disastrous and caused 2 engine rebuilds. This race car got a distributor. I know Cal has some different parts and methods from those days so they do work better now.

Since I know your car was not built as a competition track car, I would take the simple path and go with a TR6. :)

Nick, thank you for your opinion/advise and taking the time. You and I have had many conversations when you were building my motor and probably know best what my intentions are with it. And who knows, maybe when it's finally done it will become a garage queen..... Anything's possible.....

So would it be fair to say that you recommend me staying with the stock ignition? I realize the stock ignition is pretty good and that plenty of people are going pretty fast with it, but I've been told by more then a few people that using 160lb injectors with a big Weldon pump and burning E85 might not be the wisest decision. But, I appreciate your advise.
Chris, I'm far from being an expert so I cannot give you a "definite fool-proof" recomendation. My previous post was just to warn you of the possible issues you could have if something goes wrong with the coil-on-plug system. Take note that I was careful no to discredit anyone and didn't mention anyone's name. Mr. Hartline later joined in the discussion and I agree with him when he says that "MAXSIX" himself is better placed than me to comment and I hope that he'll chime in sooner or later. One thing I know is that there are guys who ran very fast still using the factory ignition system so it can't be that bad to the point that you must absolutely get rid of it and to replace it with that coil-on-plug device. I'm using some 120 lbs injectors with a FAST XFI in my car, an in-tank Aeromotive fuel pump and some C-16 race fuel (and of course the stock ignition system) and although there are lots of guys who run faster than me, I am still pretty happy with the results. I have no experience with E85 so I cannot comment on that…
good luck with your car,

Claude. (y)

If MAXSIX thinks the CNP is the reason his engine failed and more importantly, thinks I owe him something, by all means have him give me a call.
It should be noted that I gave him the CNP to try out and told him to pay me if he wanted to keep it. He had it for over a year and never paid me anything. He eventually returned it, I had the coils tested and found two were bad. I replaced the coils with the newer style, sold the unit as used and it's been in the 8's without any issues.

If MAXSIX thinks the CNP is the reason his engine failed and more importantly, thinks I owe him something, by all means have him give me a call.
It should be noted that I gave him the CNP to try out and told him to pay me if he wanted to keep it. He had it for over a year and never paid me anything. He eventually returned it, I had the coils tested and found two were bad. I replaced the coils with the newer style, sold the unit as used and it's been in the 8's without any issues.
ok This story go to far. Cal get the truth ,i had some problem with this system for any reason some cars accept it and some don't. it's tru Cal told me try it and if you love it take it and everything was back in 2011. since then many upgrade was done. i never get good result because i melt a piston before getting the car tune propely. i melt a piston because the injector harness passed between the fuel rail the bracket of the throtle cable and after 4 years rubbing up and down it finish by shorting and leaning down cyl. 1. Yes Cal it's tru it took close to 1 year before i send it back because i was supposed getting my motor back ( it take 2 years before get it back ) so i decide to give it back to you for the too long delay. Cal is a very good tuner and giving good supports i don't think he gonna do something to hurt a costumer car. now everybody get the real truth.

Chris, I'm far from being an expert so I cannot give you a "definite fool-proof" recomendation. My previous post was just to warn you of the possible issues you could have if something goes wrong with the coil-on-plug system. Take note that I was careful no to discredit anyone and didn't mention anyone's name. Mr. Hartline later joined in the discussion and I agree with him when he says that "MAXSIX" himself is better placed than me to comment and I hope that he'll chime in sooner or later. One thing I know is that there are guys who ran very fast still using the factory ignition system so it can't be that bad to the point that you must absolutely get rid of it and to replace it with that coil-on-plug device. I'm using some 120 lbs injectors with a FAST XFI in my car, an in-tank Aeromotive fuel pump and some C-16 race fuel (and of course the stock ignition system) and although there are lots of guys who run faster than me, I am still pretty happy with the results. I have no experience with E85 so I cannot comment on that…
good luck with your car,

Claude. (y)
Claude, I appreciate your advice. I'm not an expert on it either that's why I posted the question. I like to get a consciences from many people and their applications. Success they have had along with unsuccessful issues they've had. I think it helps for, being as knowledgeable as possible is always a good thing.

-Chris-

Claude, I appreciate your advice. I'm not an expert on it either that's why I posted the question. I like to get a consciences from many people and their applications. Success they have had along with unsuccessful issues they've had. I think it helps for, being as knowledgeable as possible is always a good thing.

-Chris-
I agree…Good luck with your car!

Claude. ;)

FWIW: I have seen many E85 cars struggle with the stock CCCI once they reach the 700rwhp mark. I'm not saying you can't make more hp, I'm just saying I've seen a lot of issues.

Good to hear that cal. Switching to a tr6 before I go that high. Seemed fine at 600

I have a friend ("MAXSIX" on this board) who tried such a setup which he got from a very well known Fast XFI Buick tuner and he ended up melting some pistons. :mad: He had to have his stage 2 engine rebuilt at his own expense (of course…:rolleyes:) and went back to the good old stock ignition system. Apparently he gave the coil-on-plug system back to that tuner guy and he wasn't even offered any compensation even though he installed following his recommendation…Nice isn't it?…:confused:
I've always preferred to "keep it simple" and not trying to "fix" it if it works fine. ;)

Claude :cool:

Apology accepted :rolleyes:

You post all this sh!t up without having all the facts then don't even have the balls to apologize. WTF? :mad: