What brake shoes with vacuum brakes?

V6POWER

Converted to vacuum brakes; can't hold more than 2-3# boost while brake torqueing. My 60' times went from 1.7-1.8 with powermaster to 1.8-2.0 with vacuum. I have S-10 wheel cylinders and two long shoes (Performance Friction) per wheel. I want to try softer shoes with the vacuums before I consider going back to pm and need suggestions on what soft shoes to buy. Thanks.

Try one thing before going to all that trouble. Tighten your emergency brake cable so that the e-brake pedal fully engages after 3 clicks. You can set the pedal at 3 clicks first and then tighten the cable underneath. This will set your shoes to factory spec.

It now engages at six clicks so I will readjust it to three and see if it helps. Thanks.

Hey i dont know but ive got Perf friction fronts and i may be mistaken but i belive they work better hot and the compound in then isnt ideal for the brake boosting . i thought i remember someone saying to use the cheapest shoes you could find that being the material is softer , wears quicker too .

galoush---My front brakes hold just fine while using the line lock to do burn outs, so I think they are doing a good job. Thanks for the info on cheap (soft) shoes.

John---I readjusted e-brake to three clicks and I still can't hold anymore boost.

I didnt mean the fronts but i see your point , i have them in the front on my car too . The rears i meant . I have Vac brakes on my car and stock rear cyl . It holds about 8lbs w/o problems . I dont remember the P.M how it was . My rears are two regular ones of which brand i dont remember.

I can't even hold 2-3# with S-10 cylinders and two long shoes per wheel. I hope going to softer shoes makes my set up work, otherwise I have to consider going back to pm unit. :(

Originally posted by Look Quick
I can't even hold 2-3# with S-10 cylinders and two long shoes per wheel. I hope going to softer shoes makes my set up work, otherwise I have to consider going back to pm unit. :(

I have vaccum brakes and hold 10lbs at the line with no problems.

Do you have them adjusted up? Is the drum very easy to slide on and off? You must have something going wrong?

fast86GN---I have the rears adjusted so that they just barely drag. They worked great with the pm, even without the S-10 cylinders that I added after the vacuum conversion.

Do you have a Mity Mite? If so, could you see how much vacuum you can put through the booster valve and how long it holds?

Originally posted by Look Quick
fast86GN---I have the rears adjusted so that they just barely drag. They worked great with the pm, even without the S-10 cylinders that I added after the vacuum conversion.

Do you have a Mity Mite? If so, could you see how much vacuum you can put through the booster valve and how long it holds?

That's about where I have mine adjusted to maybe a little more. Still running the stock wheel cylinders.

I don't have a mity mite to check vaccum, but my buddy might have one at his shop? I'll find out.

Is the booster brand new one or a salvage yard find? Booster could be bad? Although I have never seen one go bad.

The hose that runs from the booster to the vaccum block, is it just a straight hose or do you have a check valve installed?

It seems to reason if it works on one TR,it should work on another.
:confused:

The vacuum brake set up is a used one from Red Regal T (John DiCarlo).

I have a vapor trap canister in line between the vacuum block and the booster.

Thanks for all the questions to help ID my problem.