What can i expect from this turbo swap

nolanator

@none_more_black
Up until i decided to pull my car apart a few days ago, I was running a Precision T64E (66mm). It has a cast wheel, journal bearing, .63 A/R turbine cover and .63 A/R compressor cover.

My new turbo is a Precision 6766CEA (67mm) with a billet wheel, journal bearing and .85 A/R turbine cover and .75 A/R compressor cover. Physically speaking it is a much larger turbo.

Judging by this info and what's listed in my signature, do you think I will experience a significant amount of lag from one to the next. The new setup will also be using E85 as opposed to 91 octane and alky.

Hard to say, might be a trade off in spool up- cast heavier wheel and .63 housing -vs- billet wheel .85...but you will definitely make more power with the 6766..They will make similar power until you run them up over 23psi
Side note it might be hard to control boost with a small 38mm wg you might overpower it..

Keep us posted when you do the swap id like to hear the results..

Last edited:
There will be a huge difference in power if you have enough fuel system and plan on running near all in. There won't be a big difference if you are running mid 10 second air flow with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be a huge difference in power if you have enough fuel system and plan on running near all in. There won't be a big difference if you are running mid 10 second air flow with either.

I've scared myself into possibly building the bottom end. I know this turbo would have a blast tearing up my crank and Im just living in fear

Judging by this info and what's listed in my signature, do you think I will experience a significant amount of lag from one to the next.
with a ac 9 non lock 3500 stall converter and whats in your sig I wouldn't worry about lag I would be worried about converter couple when its turned up.

Like Bison said it will make more power if pushed. I be more concerned about using a stock crank. Tune better be spot on. Good luck post up data between the 2 when u can.

The billet 67 wheel is a quick spooling wheel. The turbine wheel is the same size, but a lighter 10 blade version, so it will be faster.

I've scared myself into possibly building the bottom end. I know this turbo would have a blast tearing up my crank and Im just living in fear
I had my car out with one of my MFS 6766 a couple days ago and I saw 85lbs/min at 33psi. I'm about out of injector with the 3145's and single nozzle alky. Mid 9 sec power at minimum. On a 9.5:1 engine with a couple changes (cam/converter) it would be 9.0 power. Stock crank, rods, pistons. It's a grenade with the pin pulled

I had my car out with one of my MFS 6766 a couple days ago and I saw 85lbs/min at 33psi. I'm about out of injector with the 3145's and single nozzle alky. Mid 9 sec power at minimum. On a 9.5:1 engine with a couple changes (cam/converter) it would be 9.0 power. Stock crank, rods, pistons. It's a grenade with the pin pulled

Hey Bison,
I'd be very happy with a 10.20 starting point. If I can ultimately hit 9.99, itd be ideal. I'm currently doing a complete rebuild, and will be making an attempt to get an experienced tuner to set up my SD2 on e85.

PS. What was the weight of that 6766 car

Hey Bison,
I'd be very happy with a 10.20 starting point. If I can ultimately hit 9.99, itd be ideal. I'm currently doing a complete rebuild, and will be making an attempt to get an experienced tuner to set up my SD2 on e85.
If your gonna mess around with those ET's you should look into a Xfi system.

[QUOTE="V6sleeper, post: 3608639, ....Side note it might be hard to control boost with a small 38 mm wg you might overpower it..........[/QUOTE]

I know you put "might" in your statement, but my experience and that of many others that use a 38 mm WG at low 9's with excellent control, and that is what I use on my 70mm race car which gives me very accurate control as I have been very successful in competition with it.

I have heard this statements like this many times before, but then I find the source had no competition experience, but follow vendors advise to up-sell parts.

For many years I have been participating in competition events, and it takes experience to win, not opinions or advertising BS. :)

I asked Kenny Duttweiler about the wastegate as well stating that someone had brought up that it may be too small. He agreed that it had no bearing on maximum boost so it was a non issue for my build.

Hey Bison,

PS. What was the weight of that 6766 car
3600-3650. Was 80-130mph in 3.5 seconds the other day with ambient temps around 50*. Had to put heat into the tires or it wouldn't do anything but spin from 80mph. It's probably good for at least 146-147mph with a taller tire or 3.23 gear on it the way it sits.

3600-3650. Was 80-130mph in 3.5 seconds the other day with ambient temps around 50*. Had to put heat into the tires or it wouldn't do anything but spin from 80mph. It's probably good for at least 146-147mph with a taller tire or 3.23 gear on it the way it sits.

That is incredibly impressive.

I asked Kenny Duttweiler about the wastegate as well stating that someone had brought up that it may be too small. He agreed that it had no bearing on maximum boost so it was a non issue for my build.
I wasn't talking about maximum boost I was referring to controlling it as a street car in the 17-19# range,, thinking this wasn't going to be strictly a track car and was gonna have a lot of street duty and wasn't going to be turned way up all the time. So I was eluding to maybe a "44mm"wg before the back slaps came.

I wasn't talking about maximum boost I was referring to controlling it as a street car in the 17-19# range,, thinking this wasn't going to be strictly a track car and was gonna have a lot of street duty and wasn't going to be turned way up all the time. So I was eluding to maybe a "44mm"wg before the back slaps came.

Ah okay. Understood. Fortunately the only time my car will see 19psi is on its way to 30.