What Chip Is Recommended W/alchy

PaulRV6

I am installing diy alchy system over winter but need to know what chip I should use. I have single nozzle, stock turbo & cam. Not sure if any further info is needed to answer question but.....
Thanks

paul

Any low timing street chip will do the trick. I have a bunch of customers using Eric's chips with great success, as well as success with the translator/extender.

You'll be upgrading injectors soon..so dont spend too much on a chip.

HTH

I'm still loving my Thrasher 108.......

Make sure you have the tuning down before you throw a full timing race chip in.

Thrasher 92 works exceptional and as Razor said, low timing chips can do the job remarkably with alcohol set ups. Can run 24 PSI boost with just a tinge of KR(transitional). See sig for combo. Lots of past threads on tuning with alky. If I were you, I'd spend several hours reading those wonderful archives which will be very helpful for you. Good luck and let us know the results. Remember start low with boost PSI tuning and sneak up on it. Better safe than sorry as you know.

How could I forget one of my favorite street chips..the Thrasher 92.. works really well.

Another chip that has worked well is the Reds 93.

I like how Erics chips drop timing throughout the run.. which for Alky is the e-ticket.

Cant run a 108 thrasher at 29 PSI tho :eek:

Originally posted by Razor
Cant run a 108 thrasher at 29 PSI tho :eek:

Shouldn't run 29 psi with a stock turbo ;)

Honestly a T108 seems to work perfect for my setup. No transitional knock and 1* on shifts.

The most popular Thrasher chips I sell for alcohol are the 97 or 100 octane varieties that people use with 93 octane fuel, spraying beer, and running big boost.

Well I have a thrasher 92 and it works great w/o alchy, but are you saying that a 97 or 100 thrasher on 93 oct w/alchy would work even better? Isn't the 97 or 100 thrasher a higher timing chip? Thrasher's are good for the price.

Who is Eric and would one of his chips be that much better? How much are his chips?

thanks, paul

Eric www.turbotweak.com

I have tried many chips with my alky setup including my own. And Erics is by far the best. I run 25lbs of boost with no knock! Not even transitional.
It also idles and drives better than any other chip.
He can also do a lean cruise patch that will give you 1-2 more mpg wile crusing. Nice feature with todays gas prices.

Also he does free changes for a year so if you change injector, turbo, etc. He will upgrade your chip for free.

Thanks JaBot,
I would still like to hear from ya about the other thrashers? Is Eric's chips really worth it compared to Thrasher (big difference in price)?

paul

Yes the 97-100-108 chips have higher timing.

The stock turbo is done @ 20-22 so to go fast you need timing. In my case I got .6/7mph going from a T92 to T108. I would recommend starting with the T100 and then decide if you want to move to a T108.

Eric's chips will have more features and newer code - but I have found the Thrashers work extremely well in my case.

I too run Erics chips in my GN and pull 25 lbs with almost no knock, starts and idles great, even got rid of that "fish bite" at slow steady speeds that was so annoying.

I use to run 24 PSI on 1'st and 2'nd then drop to 21 on third with my thrasher and stock turbo/stock injectors. Car ran 12.1's at 110 MPH. Using the SMC kit at that boost level I could only run the 92 without getting KR. If I used the 97 or 100 , I would see KR top of 3rd. But understand stock IC and motor. That was 2 years ago. I tried the 108 as well, but found it knocked like crazy.. that was then.

I have learned over the past few months if your able to really up the flow of alky through the motor.. a lot more timing can be run, as well as a lot more boost. Also have learned that if improvements to airflow and its cooling are done.. alky works especially well. Whereas if the car has a bigger IC, bigger turbo, etc.. it is able to handle a lot more timing at much higher boost levels without KR. This is injecting heavy doses of methanol.

There is a big difference in saying the car runs lets say 25 PSI boost at 830's for O2's and 25 PSI at 710's for O2's. Those that tune their cars at the track know the big MPH and ET difference. Mix timing with low O2's and high EGT's.. you'll cook some really fast times.. whats your level of play..everybody has their personal limits. You have to find out what makes more power at the track. Seat of the pants.. goes so far.

If you can run 26 degrees of timing, at low 700's, and 25+ PSI boost..you have a serious car.. if its not detonating. But to get the higher timing to work..got to work on the overall package. can this be achieved..

Back to the question asked, Paul, for dialing in an alky kit initially, its always better to start with a low timing chip. Whether your car can run a high timing chip or not..cross that bridge in the process of dialing it in. Way too many variables to contend with.

Lastly, I also find cars with better breathing like bigger IC, bigger turbos, cams, heads, etc.. dont work well with the Thrasher chips. Nothing against them, but if you have a special motor, you need a special chip. For a stock long block/stock IC..they are killer. Especially for a drop in and go chip.

Easy on the timing guys.. It can harness power, but can also harness KR. On the track with a cool motor is one thing, on the street with a heat soaked motor..its another.

HTH

Julio

Eric Turbotweak

Get a Turbotweak chip. 25# boost gauge pegged. Zero knock. Car flyin'. 009 tip in stumble gone. Car is smooth as hell. $60.00. No brainer.

Ravi

Yes Eric’s chip is by far worth it IMHO.
I just bought another gn that had a caspers thumbwheel chip in it. I took it out and put in Eric’s chip and haven’t looked back.
Plus in my experience the trashers idle really rich. Every time I’ve used one it was like standing behind a car with a badly tuned carb burning my eyes.
Don't get me wrong the Thrasher is a good chip. Especially for the price, but compared to the new chips out today It falls a little behind.
I've tried about 5 different chips (I won't mention any names) and Eric’s is by far the best in all aspects (idle, cruise, wot, etc)
Like I said before I’m running 25#'s with no knock at all with my o2's at 780 in 3rd gear on a single nozzle SMC kit. That's about as good a tune your gonna get without a wideband o2.

Here's another recommendation for Eric @ Turbotweak. My car has never run better. Best money I ever spent on a chip.

Eric's chip

Eric's chip brought my car back to life. Great chip. I run 22lbs of boost and 0 knock on 94 octane. :eek:

I hear allot routing for Eric's chip so are his chips specific to running w/alchy or is it just a good chip?
Does he do something different for the alchy?

paul