What did I screw up during shift kit install?

NVRL8

Huge Member
Just finished shift kit install. Trans is now stuck in park because shifter handle won't move. The slide button on the shifter handle has almost no resistance. I'm guessing I connected something wrong. Please point me in the right direction.

You put the manual valve in the wrong position when you hooked the "S" bar to it. You will see it when you drop the pan.

I just dropped the pan. The "S" bar appears to be in the right position (meaning it is not reversed). Could it be off just slightly? Is it possible that the manual valve is binding in its bore? It moved freely during the install. Looking for clarification before I go further.

I just dropped the pan. The "S" bar appears to be in the right position (meaning it is not reversed). Could it be off just slightly? Is it possible that the manual valve is binding in its bore? It moved freely during the install. Looking for clarification before I go further.

Can you post a pic? Its possible the manual valve got bent. But you would feel it bending i would think. It cant really be off slightly. If you look at it, you will see how it could be hooked up wrong and the valve will run out of travel. But this would be clearly obvious when viewing it. Did you try unhooking the linkage and shifting it on the transmission directly?

I didn't force anything together during reassembly, so I don't think I bent it. Everything went together smoothly. Have not tried shifting it with linkage disconnected. Will let you know how that goes. Here are a few pics. IM000350.jpg

IM000351.jpg

IM000352.jpg

IM000353.jpg

Do you still have the stock shifter? Did you happen to take the handle off the shifter? If you turn the white plastic button the wrong direction before installing the handle, I don't think it will work. Just a thought.

Didn't touch the shifter, and it's the original. Thanks for the suggestion.

Check the cable on the side or the trans where it bolts to the pan. Make sure the cable is in the bracket correct and there is a clip holding it.

Take the shift cable off of the trans and see if you can move the detent lever by hand. Let see if its the shifter or the trans.

Figured it out!

The problem is a little hard to explain. If you look at the pictures you can see how far out of the bore the manual valve is even though the "S" hook is oriented right. It was far enough out of its bore putting the "S" hook at a steep enough angle causing it to bind.

Was able to diagnose the problem by disconnecting all the linkage like you guys suggested. At that point I could not shift it manually. I disconnected the "S" hook and the manual valve moved freely. Figured it out from there.

Hopefully this can help someone else.

A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT WAS KIND ENOUGH TO HELP OUT A PERFECT STRANGER!