What do I need to do before initial start up?

I'm hoping to give my transplant a first start and was wondering what I should set first? The car isn't ready for the road yet and I also don't have a scanmaster yet. I just want to fire it up and see that it runs, is there any kind of check and can do with the tps and such so that if it starts it does take off screaming! Thanks

Without knowing the history of the motor it's hard to recommend anything. Is this a used motor? Was it running when pulled out of the other car? Is it a new motor? If it was a running motor just prime the oil system and fire it up.

What do I need to do before initial start up?

Uhhh... How about find your keys? :p

Without knowing the history of the motor it's hard to recommend anything. Is this a used motor? Was it running when pulled out of the other car? Is it a new motor? If it was a running motor just prime the oil system and fire it up.

It is a used motor, that was supposed to be from a running car. After getting it into my car It does have good oil pressure and cranks over good. Was told it had a high idle when pulled, just don't want a wreck anything. I have finally installed the fuel system and would like to hear it run now.

Pick-up & install:

Scanmaster

Fuel pressure gauge

Oil pressure gauge

Remove spark plugs & squirt some oil in each cylinder.

Make sure you have clean oil with a high zinc content such as Valvoline VR1. Fresh oil filter that has been filled with oil.

Slowly rotate engine by hand without spark plugs installed. If it rotates smoothly, crank it over a few times with starter motor to build oil pressure & circulate oil.

Make sure that you have plenty of coolant.

Probably should have a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

An extra friend or two to lend a hand & help monitor what's going on. The Scanmaster alone will keep one person busy scrolling through the displays.

Install spark plugs, cross fingers & give it a shot. If & when it starts, check ALL engine monitoring devices, gauges, etc. Watch the engine exterior for leaks, hot-spots, etc. Check fuel system & cooling system for leaks.

I've probably missed a thing or two....

Injectors cleaned?
I'll second this. Mine sat for 5 years in a climate controlled garage. Injectors ended up gunky and the car wouldn't start/run.
Sent them to Chuck and he took care of them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I have made sure the motor is free. It cranks over good, have oil pressure, have spark, have fuel pressure. It's up on stands and not going to be driven, I just keep hear how " special " these motors are and I don't want to miss something basic and wreck anything. The motor may already need a rebuild, but a least I have got everything fab up and I know it fits and would run if I do. The oil cooler spacer and lines have been removed, is it ok to run without them? I have oil pressure at my gauge, just want to make sure it's getting everywhere with them removed. Also I need to put on a new alternator. I have a one wire one, would that work with this motor? Anything special I would have to do with the 3 prong triangle plug on my harness, or just forget it like a normal one wire alt. install? Thanks again for your replies, this site has been a great help for me with this project!!