What does it mean to have a semi finished oiling block?

tobuyitright

Got my Stage II 016 block to the machine shop and I was told that it has a semi finished oiling system, (I was told this from someone other than the machine shop) but relayed this information to them( Machine shop ) so that they can get me information on what needs to done to it to be used for a future plans.

Anyway, what does a seni finished oiling system mean? (When it comes to these stge II blocks)

I've had at least one where there was no oiling holes for the lifter bores. They had to be drilled after the fact and then plugged on the lifter valley side. I had a Stage I block that had no oiling system passages when I got it. That one was a real PITA to finish. Hopefully you don't have that issue.

Neal

Red Arrows is that the difference?

Took a picture of my stage block and a stock 109 block. Red arrows point to what I think you are talking about. My stage block will need this machine work ? Thanks Scott

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 274
My engine block had some oiling passages that were not completly drilled. The drilling that went from the front cam bearing area to the drivers side lifter oil gallery. The drilling that went from the passenger side oil galley to the factory sending unit was not complete. The holes in the lifter valley were not drilled because most builders used dry sump in the roundy-rounds.
Allan G.

What you're referring to in the lifter valley would be drain back holes. I was talking about oiling holes from the main oil passages that run the length of the block on either side of the cam to the lifter bores themselves. The Stage I block I mentioned had no oil passages so you're much better off than that from your pics.

Neal

From your pics it seems as if your lifter bores have been drilled already. Are there little set screws in the drilled holes on the valley side of the bore? Can you see if the hole continues 'through' the lifter bore into the block side and into the oiling passage?

If you don't have set screws in the holes on the valley side then you will need to have them tapped and set screw installed to stop the oil from bleeding out. If the holes don't go all the way through the lifter bore into the oiling passage then they will need to be drilled into the oiling passage to supply the lifters with pressurized oiling. If you will be running solid lifters and don't give a crap about pressurized oiling to them and the holes don't go into the oiling passage then its fine as is.

You will need to address oil drain back if you are running a wet sump as well.

If you don't have set screws in the holes on the valley side then you will need to have them tapped and set screw installed to stop the oil from bleeding out. If the holes don't go all the way through the lifter bore into the oiling passage then they will need to be drilled into the oiling passage to supply the lifters with pressurized oiling. If you will be running solid lifters and don't give a crap about pressurized oiling to them and the holes don't go into the oiling passage then its fine as is.

The lifter bores need to be drilled to supply the lifters with oil. The option is how to supply the rockers with oil; either through the lifter up the pushrod into the rocker or external means.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com