What does make an aftermarket better?

bruce

Rest In Peace
I maintain that given a certain pulse width, and amount of timing at a given engine condition, there is no difference between an oem and aftermarket.

From the DS runs I've looked at for .25 mile passes once you reach the stall speed of the converter at launch you pretty much run between 3.7K to 6K. And other then some chips with a 3rd gear timing step the timing is a constant. Well, at least in the ones I've seen, and that includes some 9 sec passes.

Now in some cases folks might be using a MAF and those can drop the HP some. But, with the ME MAFless, or going to a blow thru with a Translator, you approx having a MAP system. Other then a slightly better transistional AE that a pure MAP system has.

Now we have the Tunercat RT that gives real time tuning, and numerous aftermarket WBs, those issues are mute. Unless you LIKE TUNING with a feedback WB with NO REDUNDANCY.

And like I've mentioned before you can use the TurboLink Boost Sensing Harness and incorporate it, so then you can have a boost sensing MAF/MAP set up.

Yes, I'll admit to the aftermarkets having pretty screens and sort of friendly software, but where is the real performance gains?.

So someone please tell me, FACTUALLY what I'm missing. Leave the opinions at home, and let's discuss facts. What can an aftermarket ecm do that the GN ecm can't or can't be made to do?.

It's not a debate unless someone can counter his points with facts. :) ...or even something that sounds like facts rather than condescension. :)

I find it quite interesting that we hear about the tenths to be gained with an aftermarket system, but, in the real world (such as the Nats) the stock block cars with aftermarket systems were no faster/quicker than the cars with stock ecms...at 9.9s. Does this mean the owners of the aftermarket systems don't know how to use them to find those tenths, or, does it mean that competently designed oem systems are actually competitive for a third the price? :)

I really don't see much in there that addresses the subject of oem vs aftermarket, or, why the times are not significantly better, at least at the stock block level when actual runs are compared.

I guess I am more interested in results that may be obtained at the track rather than in the ads? :) Or, at least, why the track results to date, don't support the claims/arguments. :)

On my car, the OEM ECM was a rochester 4-barrel and a vacuum advance cannister, so FAST wins hands down :)

Seriously, Bruce you raise a very valid point. There are however two significant advantages I see to an aftermarket system:

1) Information is presented on pretty tables and graphs. You don't have to learn the code, figure out how GM places parameters, etc. The information is easy to find. And for those of us that don't have the equipment to burn our own PROMs, it keeps things simple.

2) The ability to switch quickly between programs. Right now I have a program for 89 octane, one for 93 octane, and one for race fuel. I also have a modified 93 octane program for the track, that changes subtle things like the fan temp (comes on at 170 at the track, but 205 on the street), the RPM at which my closed-loop kicks in, etc. Just hit the "load" button on the laptop, wait a few seconds for the new program to load, and away you go. (Now if only I could get it to advance/retard my camshaft!)

I also don't know a lot about the latest doohickeys for the GN ECM, but the ability to change VE values "on the fly" is great. If the GNs can do that now, I hadn't heard of it, but I think that's great.

I will agree that 98% of any system is in the knowledge/ability of the tuner.

In my mind, by the time you add up the cost of the WB (including time to make a DIY system if necessary, and time = $$), EPROM burner, translator+ / Turbolink / Scanmaster etc., the MAFs that are getting more expensive and less reliable, it seems like you are just about a wash compared to the FAST. And with all that, I am pretty sure you still don't get closed-loop WB functionality (although it could be argued that once you have the VE tables right, you no longer need closed loop).

I find it very easy to record a run, overlay the run on the VE table, make corrections/changes, and make another run never having left the driver's seat. If I think the air is good for another 1/2 degree of timing, I just go for it.

Does the aftermarket have drawbacks? Sure. But they certainly have their place.

-Bob C.

Originally posted by bobc455

1) Information is presented on pretty tables and graphs. You don't have to learn the code, figure out how GM places parameters, etc. The information is easy to find. And for those of us that don't have the equipment to burn our own PROMs, it keeps things simple.

2) The ability to switch quickly between programs. !)

I also don't know a lot about the latest doohickeys for the GN ECM, but the ability to change VE values "on the fly" is great. If the GNs can do that now, I hadn't heard of it, but I think that's great.
In my mind, by the time you add up the cost of the WB (including time to make a DIY system if necessary, and time = $$), EPROM burner, translator+ / Turbolink / Scanmaster etc., the MAFs that are getting more expensive and less reliable, it seems like you are just about a wash compared to the FAST. And with all that, I am pretty sure you still don't get closed-loop WB functionality (although it could be argued that once you have the VE tables right, you no longer need closed loop).

I find it very easy to record a run, overlay the run on the VE table, make corrections/changes, and make another run never having left the driver's seat. If I think the air is good for another 1/2 degree of timing, I just go for it.

Does the aftermarket have drawbacks? Sure. But they certainly have their place.

You don't have to figure out the complete in's and outs or do chip burning to run the GN in a quick car. The Translators, and ME give you a specific range of tunable parameters for WOT. And for someone drag racing that's all they really need, IMO. Like I specifically mentioned a given DC and timing at a given parameter. Match those and everything is moot, as I see it.

Switch programs, OK, what are you switching other then timing?

Yes, with some added bits, you can do real time tuning. Akward for the soldering challenged but doable. Take a Romulator, for $180 and then the regular Tunercat tuning stuff and an extra $20 program. $300 more then covers all of it.

The real time tuning and DS totals about $550.
Yes, you can add to that, but that gives data logging and full access to all the parameters in the chip.
Or DS and ME-MAFless gives full tunability, data logging, does away with the stock O2, and MAF sensor.
Either is still only 25% of an aftermarket.
Reliability?. I have had one ecm *fail* and that was the prom socket, from having over 400 prom swaps. And I had a spare on the shelf, so no down time or postage to get it fixed.
If you really want to get into fine timing adjustments then the oem allows for .3d changes.

WOT fuel adjustments allow for 1% and 400 rpm steps in the stocker. Using DS you can analyse and make specific changes if you want also.

So far I still see the oem as the winner overall, other then possibly opinions about how pretty the software is, but I was looking to compare functionality.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
It's not a debate unless someone can counter his points with facts. :) ...or even something that sounds like facts rather than condescension.

Exactly,
so much of the tech stuff lately sounds like it should be in the lounge area.

BTW, there is a slight flaw in the oem systems, I'm just curious if anyone has even noticed it. Actually not a flaw even, just the way things were 20 years ago.

Hopefully this will progress as an intelligent discussion.

Originally posted by bruce

Switch programs, OK, what are you switching other then timing?

Timing, yes- I change about 3/4 of the timing map. Not just WOT, but a lot of numbers in the "cruise" area as well.

In addition, I run WOT a bit richer (89 octane isn't very good at WOT so I add a bit of extra fuel to try to further supress detonation, although it probably costs some HP). Also, with 93 Octane my fan high/low is 205/195, with 89 Octane I can get a lot of pinging at those temps so I have the fan come on at 185 and off at 175 (160 degree thermostat).

One sneaky thing I do is add some "warmup" enrichment on the 89 octane table above 185 degrees- therefore if the engine does get to 200 degrees, it will run a bit richer to help eliminate that yucky pinging noise under load.

Ideally I should always run 93 for best performance, but if I stay out of the throttle the car seems to run very nicely with 89 or 87 octane (save $$, I drive about 400-500 miles/week), and I put these band-aids in "just in case".

VE tables, AE, starting parameters, etc., mostly stay the same as far as I can remember.

BTW, if anyone from FAST is watching (Craig/Lance), that might be another idea for the new FAST/Calcom- have the ability to load only parts of a program. For example if I want to save/load only a timing table, or VE table, it would be nice to do that. Maybe you could have individual files for many of the tables/graphs, and then save a complete "program" (now a .gct file) in a whole folder instead of a single file.

You don't have to figure out the complete in's and outs or do chip burning to run the GN in a quick car. The Translators, and ME give you a specific range of tunable parameters for WOT. And for someone drag racing that's all they really need, IMO.

To an extent, but for example I've been very tempted by a supercharger setup that's recently become available for my engine. I would obviously have to change MAP sensors and injector sizes, but there is no need for a new chip- all I have to do is tell it that I have a new MAP sensor and injector size, and away we go. Of course I have to re-tune the rest of the tables too (VE, A/F, timing), but that isn't a big deal IMO. Can you change injector sizes without changing chips? (I ask only out of ignorance)

Also, the ability to change stuff on the fly makes tuning SO simple- if I go to the dyno and want to check different A/F ratios or timing, it's only a few seconds between pulls to make the desired changes. Most of the time is letting the engine cool down between pulls. I can make 10-15 pulls in an hour, and be done- no running off to a prom burner between pulls.

The seamless transition from datalogging to overlaying the playback onto a table also helps make tuning incredibly fast and easy.

I'm not saying one or the other is better- each has their fit. Obviously I really have no choice but to use some sort of aftermarket ECM. GM has absolutely put loads of time into researching drivability and incorporating that into the code and tuning, so in many applications that is also a good choice.

If I could get some more outputs from the ECM to control other things (a warning light for excessive O2 enrichment, like if a fuel pump is dying- or maybe an output to automatically kick on a second fuel pump under a given condition, or even a tach output that can be faked) that would be a delightful addition to my car, and something that would well be beyond the scope of an OEM ECM. But right now those options are really limited. Then things like shift lights, playback tachs, would all become obsolete (or much cheaper) since the ECM could take care of these things. And I could save money by buying a $2.00 lightbulb and $50 tach instead of a $50 shift light and $300 playback tach.

-Bob Cunningham

p.s. You've got me! I have no idea what the flaw in the OEM systems is (is it only the GN ECM or all OEM systems like Ford and Chrysler?)

I think an important point was made in one of Bruce's prior posts which probably negates a lot of the advertised advantages of the aftermarket systems when compared to a modern chip such as the Extender series or the MaxEffort mafless.

Once out of low gear, the rpm band in 2nd and 3rd is pretty narrow in a faster car. The more narrow this band, the simpler the fueling and timing requirements. Therefore the advertised advantages of an aftermarket system may not pan out on the track even if they are technically valid.

I am not that familar with the bells and whistles in the latest Extender chips, but, with a ME-R, one can program a fueling curve for low gear, a wot curve for second gear, and and final curve for third that is richer, if so desired.

I note in other threads that the 9.4s, 9.9s, and 10.2s came on the chip defaults without programming which may confirm the point made about narrow rpm bands on fast cars. Large improvements may not be achieved after fine tuning as there is simply not enough time to make a big difference?

The other factor I noted is that no one had to fly a tuner out to get the car baselined. Plug and go Play.

For dyno runs, a flip of the tw will change the fueling by 2%, or whatever the particular chip has for defaults, and a couple of pumps on the gas pedal can offset that for lesser amounts if so desired.

Not as pretty, but very effective and fast. :) and cheap.

I doubt that the oem ecms/modern chips will put the aftermarket guys out of business, but, when it comes to Regals, which was the point of the original threads, they may not provide any significant advantage that supports the purchase price other than as something to talk about. :)

The gap has closed significantly in the past years as the chip guys have ventured away from simply tweaking what GM put in there.

Originally posted by bobc455
Timing, yes- I change about 3/4 of the timing map. Not just WOT, but a lot of numbers in the "cruise" area as well.

In addition, I run WOT a bit richer (89 octane isn't very good at WOT so I add a bit of extra fuel to try to further supress detonation, although it probably costs some HP). Also, with 93 Octane my fan high/low is 205/195, with 89 Octane I can get a lot of pinging at those temps so I have the fan come on at 185 and off at 175 (160 degree thermostat).

One sneaky thing I do is add some "warmup" enrichment on the 89 octane table above 185 degrees- therefore if the engine does get to 200 degrees, it will run a bit richer to help eliminate that yucky pinging noise under load.

Ideally I should always run 93 for best performance, but if I stay out of the throttle the car seems to run very nicely with 89 or 87 octane (save $$, I drive about 400-500 miles/week), and I put these band-aids in "just in case".

VE tables, AE, starting parameters, etc., mostly stay the same as far as I can remember.

BTW, if anyone from FAST is watching (Craig/Lance), that might be another idea for the new FAST/Calcom- have the ability to load only parts of a program. For example if I want to save/load only a timing table, or VE table, it would be nice to do that. Maybe you could have individual files for many of the tables/graphs, and then save a complete "program" (now a .gct file) in a whole folder instead of a single file.

To an extent, but for example I've been very tempted by a supercharger setup that's recently become available for my engine. I would obviously have to change MAP sensors and injector sizes, but there is no need for a new chip- all I have to do is tell it that I have a new MAP sensor and injector size, and away we go. Of course I have to re-tune the rest of the tables too (VE, A/F, timing), but that isn't a big deal IMO. Can you change injector sizes without changing chips? (I ask only out of ignorance)

Also, the ability to change stuff on the fly makes tuning SO simple- if I go to the dyno and want to check different A/F ratios or timing, it's only a few seconds between pulls to make the desired changes. Most of the time is letting the engine cool down between pulls. I can make 10-15 pulls in an hour, and be done- no running off to a prom burner between pulls.

The seamless transition from datalogging to overlaying the playback onto a table also helps make tuning incredibly fast and easy.

I'm not saying one or the other is better- each has their fit. Obviously I really have no choice but to use some sort of aftermarket ECM. GM has absolutely put loads of time into researching drivability and incorporating that into the code and tuning, so in many applications that is also a good choice.

If I could get some more outputs from the ECM to control other things (a warning light for excessive O2 enrichment, like if a fuel pump is dying- or maybe an output to automatically kick on a second fuel pump under a given condition, or even a tach output that can be faked) that would be a delightful addition to my car, and something that would well be beyond the scope of an OEM ECM. But right now those options are really limited. Then things like shift lights, playback tachs, would all become obsolete (or much cheaper) since the ECM could take care of these things. And I could save money by buying a $2.00 lightbulb and $50 tach instead of a $50 shift light and $300 playback tach.

-Bob Cunningham

p.s. You've got me! I have no idea what the flaw in the OEM systems is (is it only the GN ECM or all OEM systems like Ford and Chrysler?)

While I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I was hoping to keep this to differences, and advantages. As I said with the Romulator and R_T you can do real time and just to be clear, reload entire programs.

As far as cruise timing if you want to run 89 or 93 I've gotten the same results using either with the same timing tables. If you tuning a lean cruise, and high timing setup then IMO you sacrificing engine life, for MPG. High timing lean cruises are h*ll on rod bearings, oil temps, and pistons.

Now if you want to continue with actual tuning can we go to a new thread?. I just want to keep the original thread intact, is all.

I'd also like to keep this thread Turbo Buick specific since that is what the hosting site is about.

Bob, if you change injectors you must change chips. I use a RadioShack A/B printer switch so I don't have to plug and unplug cables, to switch between DirectScan and a Pocket Programmer, with an inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter to power both laptop and programmer, which sit in the passenger seat. Make a pass, park, review the ds log (<1 to 5 minutes for me depending on what I'm studying), record data in notebook and plan changes (<1 to 5 minutes), open chip image in winbin, make changes, save file (total <1 to 5 minutes), flip a/b switch, open file in eprom programmer program, insert blank eprom, program (2 minutes), insert eprom in carrier, insert in ecm, flip a/b switch back (another 1 minute), and go again. Not counting the notebook and thinking time, between 2 and 10 minutes depening on how extensive the changes are, with no extra hardware - fast enough so cooldowns are the rate determining step. Keep a bag of blank eproms and erase them in bulk that night. In reality, I made a little cable/board/adaptor so I have a flash ram chip sitting within reach, on the trans tunnel, instead of digging into the ecm each time, and it programs in about 10 sec and doesn't use the carrier, so all that is even faster. No on-the-fly changes but I can't write that fast in my notebook anyway :). The editing is probably about the same time as using the fast or accel software, their downloads are faster than my program eprom/insert, and to me the rest is a wash.

I guess I see three gm ecm configurations to consider, and I'm ignoring spoolup and ae stuff to focus on a 1/4 mile pass after the launch.

First is a stock maf or translator/lt1/ls1 but no extender. The maf will be pegged sometime during spoolup and all fueling after that is "blind". The programmer sets up some amount of fuel delivery and it is up to the driver/tuner to make the airflow match to arrive at some target afr. The stock O2 sensor and perhaps an egt meter can be logged and adjustments made after each run. This can be burning a new chip or turning a thumbwheel to a new setting, and includes the max effort setup (which also allows changes to be programmed in with key on engine not running, which is flexible but has its own learning curve for the tuner).

Second would be an extender setup, where the maf stays on scale for the run. Now the fueling can be made to match the airflow for the entire pass, during the pass, using what is essentially a preprogrammed target afr. However, the tuner doesn't know what that afr is going to be before a run. He can just richen or lean things out, and then has to see what the new afr was. To change that afr, I believe there are setup changes that can be programmed in with the key on and engine not running, so there is some learning curve associated with this. Again, data can be logged in one pass and then used to adjust the afr for the next pass.

Third is the mafless ME setup. This replaces the maf with a map/speed-density system to remove the inlet restriction of the maf. Otherwise I see it as equivalent to number two - airflow measurement stays on scale but tuning is open loop and it is up to the tuner to log a run and use that to adjust for the next run.

Number one is also susceptible to problems like boost creep, where the airflow changes but the ecm doesn't know it and the chipmaker didn't anticipate it, while two and three handle that okay. I'm focussing on fueling here because the rpm range after launch is so narrow that I'm assuming constant and equivalent timing from all ecms. Yes, an independent wideband o2 can be added but it will most likely have to be independently datalogged and so analyzing all the recorded data will be more time consuming (see the innovate! wbo2 thread in the scan tool forum for a great looking new unit).

The aftermarket ecms, fast and gen vii+, are both speed density so the airflow measurement is always on scale (yes, I'm assuming a correctly sized map sensor), so they are best compared to 2 and 3. The big advantage they offer that I see is the integrated wideband O2 sensor. At a minimum, it can be datalogged easily with perfect alignment between it and other engine variables like rpm and knock, and used for tuning the next pass. A good argument can be made that tuning using logged afr's is more intuitive and easier to do than tuning using stock O2 voltages and/or egt like the stock-based 2 and 3 above. Yes, buying a fast or vii+ is an expensive way to get a loggable wbo2 but if you don't mind paying for convenience it's your choice. However the wbo2 can also be used in closed loop mode at wot (at least with the fast; no one answered my question if this was possible with the gen vii+). To me this is the biggest advantage since not only is tuning done after a pass it happens during a pass, making each pass potentially less damaging and cutting the required number of passes to arrive at a final tune down by at least a factor of two (based on conversations with at least 10 fast tuners and a few other chip tuners besides myself). If it saves just one set of headgaskets while a new and impatient tuner is trying to optimize his car's performance, the fast or vii+ has paid for itself. Then, the tuner has the choice of leaving the setup in closed loop mode or going back to open loop. Closed loop may save the engine if something else fails in the fuel delivery system, like the fuel pump or filter, and can hurt the engine if the sensor itself fails in an "unlucky" manner. From talking with many racers the sensors very rarely fail so to me the choice would be to leave it closed loop, but each tuner can decide for themselves.

So to summarize, the stock based systems are cheaper, but if you add an independent wbo2 (about $400 for the innovate! and interface cable) and peaknhold drivers they will be about $1000 total (including translator/maf or map), vs $2300-2500 for a fast or vii+. My guess is that the learning curve for each setup with a wbo2 is fairly similar - two-thirds of it learning how to tune and one-third learning how to make the changes. Without the wbo2 to go with 1, 2, and 3 I believe that the learning curve is steeper and it will take longer to get a car tuned. Support for 2, 3, fast, and vi+ seem to be readily available from the vendors; making your own chips for 1 requires the most time spent hunting down all the tools you will need from various places. The stock based systems are only applicable to the tr's at present; each vehicle and ecm combination seems to be growing its own set of stock based systems (sy/ty, lt1, ls1, etc). The fast and vii+ are universal; they are used on many different engines so any tuning skills based on them will have a much larger market base so clearly, any tuner shops will prefer them over the limited customer base possible with a tr-specific setup. That limits support for 2 and 3 to just the vendors, plus other racers. A big chunk of the price difference between stock based and fast/vii+ is probably explained in the markups needed by the distributors, and a lot of this is used to fund the tuning support given by those distributors. So, every user has to decide for themselves how much help they will need and how many sources they want to be available for that help, and factor that into their decision as well as the price.

Anyway, that's how I see the debate, for drag racing at least.

only reason i wanted a FAST system was the redundancy with the self correcting wbo2 sensor.

THATS IT

otherwise i'd run a GM749 ecm with an innovative wbo2

Plus i got my FAST with wb02 for $1100 brand new

My two cents, for what it's worth. What makes the FAST or DFI better than the factory ECM? One thing, ease of use. Don't need 4 or 5 other pieces to make adjustments, record a pass or look at pretty screens.

Neither piece was made to replace the factory ECM. Not everyone starts with a factory car with all the bells and whistles, some are dedicated race cars and thats the market they were intended for originally. Without a market, neither FAST or DFI would exist Then, along came some smart ass with a street car wanting to go EFI, and not wanting to learn the factory stuff, ta-da, now we have units in place where they weren't originally planned or designed. So what happens? As is typical of most people they start whining about how come they won't do this or that and want features like a factory ECM, they want driviability like a factory car from a ECM that wasn't intended for that level of sophistication. So now we have DFI 7+ with more features and hopefully soon, a new FAST.

So, what do we have? We have a car, we have a v6 turbo from a wrecked GN, we want to install this. Now we need an ECM, a wire harness, some kind of WB O2 option, software and all the stuff to read and modify the factory ECM.

Add the costs and they come close to a FAST or DFI with out all the learning curves just for the software muniplations. Thats the advantage, thats the market.

Is their code any better, don't know so lets say no. Are they going to give you their code or publish it here? Thats a NO! Can the same thing be done with a factory ECM.....yes. Are we beating a dead horse with this subject.....yea!

Any change left over feel free to donate to the Navy Relief Fund

Just curious. How easy would it be for one of you stock ecm guys to get my car running within 100hp of it's current tune? I am willing to let my car be the guinea pig. Perhaps at Reynolds?

Originally posted by HighPSI
Just curious. How easy would it be for one of you stock ecm guys to get my car running within 100hp of it's current tune? I am willing to let my car be the guinea pig. Perhaps at Reynolds?

A noble gesture, indeed, Cal! :)

Of course, you're proposing that someone tune your car in a weekend to within 100 hp of the tune that you've spent how many years getting to it's current outstanding state? As somebody "in the business" with at least some sort of relationship with the manufacturer as a distributor? Really - how long did it take you to get from the tens to the eights?

Still, it's a helluva offer. It'd be cool if Bruce, Steve, Bob made a go at it.

Not really difficult with a 100hp cushion. If the stock ecm is as easy to tune as the aftermarket it should only take a couple passes. Most of my improvements in ET were in the parts not the tuning. I have been running the same A/F ratio and timing in my car for years. That's the beauty of it, I can change parts, then let the Wide Band bring the fueling back to where it needs to be on the very first pass.

Originally posted by HighPSI

It's really too bad you don't live closer.

BTW, if your aftermarket ecm has an adapter harnes that plugs into the stock harness, all we'd need to do is run your ecm on the ecm bench, and then build a similiar file for the stocker using that data, and we could honestly run the car with the same tune but different ecms.
Then make 2 comparison runs, one with each ecm, and have accurate results.
Till any one does that, it's all conjecture, since it seems that those that might have some real info., perfer to just say *trust me*, and quote advertising claims. Or we fall back into the opinion stuff.