What Emissions Components Can I Remove?

Caleb W.

What emissions parts can I remove from an 84 HA without causing any issues? Im sure this is a noob question and its been answered, but hey might as well ask.

None of them legally and all of them mechanically.
I guess what i really should've asked was can I just unplug and take them out without causing any codes to be thrown? Here in NC any car older than 95 doesn't go through emissions.

More than likely, any emissions component you unplug will generate a trouble code. Which emissions parts/sensors do you want to remove? EGR?

More than likely, any emissions component you unplug will generate a trouble code. Which emissions parts/sensors do you want to remove? EGR?
EGR and possibly the fuel canister. I've read some mixed reviews on the fuel canister removal and would like some extra guidance. I want to remove and many vacuum lines as I possibly can. Are there any other emissions systems in these cars besides those? I'm in NC and I don't have emissions testing since it's older than 1996

Depends what chip is in the car

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I hope have reasearched these cars and at least changed all vacuum lines and made sure they're connected properly to the correct components.

I'm sorry guys... I really need to update my profile with a list of my mods. As for the chip it's a Turbo Tweak slapped on an 87 ECU/ECM/Computer (what ever you prefer lol). I know these cars fairly well. I've been around it for 8 years with both me and my step dad learning along the way. Im almost finished with high school and I've been able to work on the car a lot more now. Things are starting to click within me so that's why I might seem like a newbie on here. My stepdad and I got screwed about 6 years back when he sent it off to be "hopped up" as he said. But 1 1/2 years and 4 grand later, we ended up with a big black brick that ran like crap. A few fixes here and there to keep it alive have gotten old. I'm trying to make it right. I know a lot of the older guys have answered questions that will be similar to mine thousands of times. I've done my homework for the past 6 months. Hell, I have a binder labeled Buick Stuff with papers in it stacked inch height about on par with my GPA lol!!
Wow I got off topic quick. Anyways, even though the site says new member, I have a good bit of confidence in my knowledge of these cars.

There! List of current mods in my sig.
What are your goals? Be aware that removing emission equipment is not hurting your engine performance. Simply remove the CAT. You really need to find out what is going on with your tune and your engine. The scanmaster cannot do this. If you are serious get a powerlogger and a wide band o2 sensor and data log. Find out what is really wrong. Emissions equipment is not your problem. Doing this step enabled my old hot air to go from a !5.0 quarter to a 12.6 quarter. The only emissions equipment I removed was the CAT.

Emission items in these cars are not the old emission systems that choked cars in the 70s.
I don't think you will get much improved performance removing anything more than the cat.
On our 85, the only thing we were forced to do was gut the cat because the innards broke and clogged
the exhaust system. The car got a lot peppier with a gutted cat. If yours is fine, put in a "test-pipe" but
keep the cat just in case.
My understanding is the EGR comes into play more while cruising so at wot it has little effect.
The canister is to control evaporation emissions and doesn't have much effect on performance either.

Thanks for your feedback guys I really appreciate it. My goals for the car are for it to be a quick and reliable street car/daily and the occasional drag strip run. I would assume I have a test pipe of some sort since the down pipe has a side exit right infront of the passenger door that has been open for almost a month now since i lost the bolts to put the cap back on. lol. i can post a picture if you dont know what im talking about. My step dad has all the mods he really wants on it right now. We just gotta tune and make things right. And paint it.... its ugly...very ugly

Get a turbo tweak chip for your setup. I wouldn't worry about removing emission equipment other than maybe gutting the cat or running a test pipe.

I wouldn't drive the car until you have the proper chip in it otherwise you can hurt the engine, I think that's what messed up my engine. Now I need to build one

Thanks for all the feed back guys! My old man (84sithlord) keeps telling me to read the stickies and that most of my questions are answered. But he seems to forget that I'm 18 years old and hates reading lol. He also says that a lot of people on here won't help me due to my age and me "not reading". But this forum seems to be better than the other Turbo Buick sites.