What Factor(s) Made You Purchase Your First Turbo Buick???

My dad got me my 83 t-type for my first car and fell in love with it so i saved a little and finally got my 87 last January for my birthday and hoping to get another one.

My dad bought the 86 ttype back in may of 86 from the dealer, and then i was born in august:smile: i grew up along side the car and a couple others brothers. i always remember riding in the back seat and having the boost plant me in the seat. i was hooked early! i told him i would take it off his hands when i was around 19 i guess...after driving it for a while. for the cars 21 birthday i installed an alky kit:biggrin: i love my car!

Looking back on the original post, ONE of the reasons for getting hooked was getting whooped on Telegraph by a gold T-Type back in the early 90's:eek:

Um....the cutting edge technology? Well at that time it was. Seems the new technology has learned from Buick MotorSport. SFI.

6=8

i like spending money i dont have lol....na i always liked them.seen them in car mags in study hall while i should have been studying,never could afford one then got a job at the railroad and built an 8 sec turbo vega that was sitting in the backyard with a little nitrous motor(100-500 kit nitrous with an attitude,thats TOPGUN nitrous for those that dont know right phil) ,got hurt playin basketball and put he vega up for sale,guy called me from texas and wanted to trade.got my dream car and the rest is history :)

I was helping out on saturdays at our local BOPC dealership in the cleanup shop when the 87 GNs arrived and One GNX. The salesman has to do a burnout accross the back lot and I went ape. I knew one day Id own one, now I buy them because as hotroders we have a disease, our wives dont understand but we just can help it.

our wives dont understand but we just can help it.

Cheer up, there are a few of us that have it too. May have to do with growing up in the Detroit suburbs, who knows? Specifically why a Buick? That was an accident-got hit by a GN, destroyed the muskrat convertible I had at the time, didn't do a whole lot to the Buick from what I recall, but found my 85 WH1 on the back lot at a local dealer not too long after that. Didn;t know what a WH1 was at the time, just thought it looked really nice in the 2-tone. Had it 15 years now and it has never failed me. Found my 86 WH1 about 2 years ago, been tinkering with it off and on, think I need to slow it down a bit...

Got license in 87 when I was a freshman. What kid didn't want a GN or Mustang in 87....:)

1988, I thought I was bad in my black Z28. I saw a GN out in front of me. I had read about them but never saw one. No problem, I had a black Z. I flew up quick on his bumper, he glanced at me smirked and left me standing still. Bought my first one two years later after a test drive that blew me away.

Back in 1993 I wanted something cheap on gas but I wanted something with enough power to pass cars on a two lane road with ease. I was traveling 85 miles a day on a two lane road to and from work and sometimes there were little old ladies that would drive 48mph in a 55 zone. I test drove a 87 T Limited (with the salesman in the car) and when I took off from a light I pushed the throttle about half way down. The turbo spooled up fairly quick and just about the same time the trans shifted in 2nd and the car got sideways before I lifted! The silent exhaust along with the temendous torque I felt was what got me started. I'll never forget that test drive.:D

After loving Regals and about 19 years old, I was looking through a for sale magazine and the Grand Nationals showed up through there. Immediately I remembered about the car. Most of the listings said "V6 that kills Corvettes." I love being underestimated, so I immediately was sold. Not to mention, I was reading a car craft (or was it hot rod) magazine about a stock to stock TR vs. a 5.0. And the last line in the article read, "So long 5.0, you just got toasted by a V6". I never looked back since.:biggrin:

I too use to read all the 'hot' magazines of the day and remember the alcalades the 86-87 Turbo Cars were getting at the time. Around that same time I remember driving by the local Buick dealerships in my 79 T/A and checking out all the mean looking black GN's lined up in front. I'll NEVER forget how friggin mean they looked all lined up like that and to this day i'm sorry I didn't take pics of them out front at that dealership. One dealership in particular Balch Pontiac Buick In East Windsor CT use to have a ton of em all lined up in the front and towards the end of the summer of 87, when the end was near, I remember stopping in front to watch them unload a car trailer full of TURBO BUICKS!! What a site and I remember saying to myself that I had to get one. Which I finally did when I purchased my 87 dark garnet red T in the summer of 92. I still have it! Then about 4 years ago I saw a post on this site from a member in NH (littlesixsteve) saying his friend had an 87 GN he just traded for his 81 Delorean. Long story short,took a ride up and ended up buying it and recently just got it back after a year long restoration. I'll never get rid of em..........................Ken B.

When I got my gn it was my first car 16 yrs old. I originally wanted a typhoon cost too much then most of my friends had regals, so I told my father I wanted something with t-tops. My father then took me to a car lot that had a20,000 mile fully loaded 87 gn with t-tops, the price was out of my price range. Finally found 1 in Arcanum, OH 4 1/2hours away from home. We went and the guy had 2 gn's 84 and 87 he was driving the 87 and was selling the 84 both cars were clean didnt know 1 was faster than the other { really didnt matter at time i was tired of walking} so test drove the 84 which was fast and then he bought it. It was a nice car :p till i tore it up lol:p

Had a worked over R32 Turbo Skyline in Japan and In 2000 when I was coming back from a military tour in Japan.
My parents were selling the GN and I had the turbo bug from the Skyline so it fit the bill and I bought it.

Wanted to learn more about EFI & Turbo charging in general.

Attachments

• White Car 009.jpg
    White Car 009.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 121
My mustang was STOLEN:mad: Wish I did a little more research on these Buicks before I bought mine. Somedays I wish I just had my Mustang back.:frown:

I have always wanted one, but my first TOY was a '98 Cobra with a deal I couldn't pass up. Drove it for 3 yrs and it killed me to get rid of it. Have been looking for a Gn ever since. Just picked one up 3 wks ago. Price and timing were the determining factors. Price was awesome and the condition was great especially for the money. Now I have a project, but at least its a GN:)