what first?

mojilla

I am trying to figure out what i should by next for my car.
It is mostly stock with the exception of a walbro 340 hot wired, fuel pressure reg. and boost controller. I will be buying injectors(msd 50#) but i was also wondering if i should get a THDP or a converter after the injectors. I dont have the cash to buy both.
If anybody has any suggestions as of what to buy first or even on combos. I would greatly appreciate it. My goals are with stock turbo, intercooler, and 100 octane to run low 12's.
THANKS
Joe Miller

Get the down pipe first.You wont need the converter till you upgrade the turbo.

Originally posted by mojilla
My goals are with stock turbo, intercooler, and 100 octane to run low 12's.
THANKS
Joe Miller

Don't need the DP for that. If you're planning to do this on 100 octane though, I'd get in on the SMC Alcohol Kit group purchase going right now. I think by limiting yourself on the octane gas you want to run on, that will give you the most power increase for the money.

Im doing that rite now with the stock stuff on 93oct pump gas and an SMC kit.

But I also have a THDP :/

Julio

Stock turbo,stock inj,stock IC,stock converter,even the stock fuel pump(but not for long)

12.32 @ 110.xx 1/4
7.83@88.72 1/8 mile last week

run as driven to track.Plenty left

;)

I've run 12.15 with all the stock stuff(except cam). That was with 18psi of boost with a 93 pump gas/Xylene mix. The stock exhaust will get you there.

It's not that he can't see low 12's on a stock DP!My car is proof of that 12.4 with stock turbo,intercooler,and DP.He asked what his next purchase should be.Obviously if he is putting 50# msd injectors in the car. Then he will probably at some point put a bigger turbo on the car.The DP will help him more with the stock setup than the converter will.And if he goes with the bigger turbo later he will already have the DP and can buy a converter to match the turbo.It's the evolution of owning a turbo car.The more power you acheive the more you want.Just my .02 WES

thanks

Thanks for the info. I have heard alot of good things about the SMC Alky kit. I am going to get the down pipe and defintatly cosidering the alky Kit.
THANKS for the info
Joe Miller

Death4,
118mph on stock turbo,stock injectors,stock IC????

What chip and mods to get ya there?

a buddy of mine(TTA850) ran a 11.95@113 on stock IC, turbo, injectors, and engine

his mods were slicks, 22-23#'s of boost, race gas(116 i think) trans brake, chip, K&N and springs, something to the tune of $800 in mods, but basically he didn't touch a thing that had to do with the engine :)

11.99 @ 113mph 22lbs of boost, ATR 3" Downpipe, no cat, straight 3" exhaust, intake, Trans Barke, MT ET Streets, Moroso drag springs, Thrasher chip

:)

11.99 @ 113mph 22lbs of boost, ATR 3" Downpipe, no cat, straight 3" exhaust, intake, Trans Barke, MT ET Streets, Moroso drag springs, Thrasher chip

You own the car and don't know what I had done to it.

K&N filter,downpipe,new valve springs,T-brake,M/T ET Streets,Thrasher108,116 Racegas,22-23# boost.

Steve

Hmmm...
Stay away from the msd 50's right now. Your going to have to get the fuel right to get the car to run. The big injectors will make it harder to get the fuel right, and your combo is no where near needing injectors that big. Getting the car tunned out good is an absolute must. Get some kind of scan tool with the funds you got right now. Then when you get your car tuned out you will be running faster than most of the guys who bought the speed parts you listed above. Add the speed parts you wanted as you get the money and by then you will already have a good base knowledge of how to tune it out to take advantage of those new parts. Also remember there are alot of people who added speed parts to their cars and actually slowed them selves down(my self included). I have a strong feeling this was do to the fact that the added speed parts pushed the cars farther out of tune.
Here is what I think it takes to run fast:
1. tunning aids and the knowledge to use them properly
2. good drag racing tires (slicks)
3. good fuel
4. As much boost as you feel comforatble running
5. good launch technique (practice)
6. time at the track to learn what your car likes best (shifts ect..)
7. and those priceless good air days!

I personaly added an assortment of speed parts all at once over last winter. Got the car running the day before the nats and hauled the damn thing all the way to Kentucky. I then cracked out a few kick ass 13.2 second passes @ 109(GRRRR!). I then decided to get my scan master working and the next day I was able to run a 12.56@114 launching from an idle. Then rain and other probs kept me from improving on this. I then took my car to the track later in the summer and only got 1 pass in before the F'n rain and ran a 12.04@116. I was actually excited about this because my scan master was reading way rich and I felt a stumble in the motor ( I assumed it was a rich stumble). This is where I really think the need for the scanmaster sunk into my bald head. Because of the scan master I pretty much knew what the stumble was from. Had I not had it I might have thought I was feeling a mild case of detonation and prob would have fattened it up to fight it. But I did have the scan master and knew which way to go, so I leaned it out a bit the next day and took it out on the street for a run. The damn thing pulled like a run away freight train! I was so excited I even think I gave the old lady some that night! A few weeks later I took it to the track with it set up like the run I made on the street. First pass was an 11.30@118. This was late in the year and did not make it back out to the track. I did run faster every single time I took the car out. I picked up almost 2 seconds and 9 mph from tunning and finding out what the car likes. Can you name a speed part for $250 that will knock 2 seconds off your time?

HTH: Jason